Radar Arch/Dinghy Davits installed on H34

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
I was tired of sleeping with my rolled up dinghy in the aft berth and wanted to install radar on our boat and didn't want to go up the mast.... So, this is what we did...
A friend had purchased a radar arch for his thrawler but didn't install it yet. We brought it out to the boat to check measurements and to make sure it would fit okay. After we were satisfied with the outcome we went ahead and ordered it. We knew we had to make some cosmetic changes to fit the arch legs where we needed them. We had to remove the fuel filler neck and fiberglass it in thus relocating the neck. We made some fiberglass angled shims for the feet to fit the contour of the boat. Once we completed making the shims we were able to mount the legs and the upper arch supports. (Before we attached all the pieces together we ran the wires for the radar and some extra wires if needed later)
The kit comes complete with everything you need to assemble it except the mounting bolts. Those varied as the thickness of the deck played a part of the length. The only thing we purchased extra were the light brackets. We used those for the dinghy pulleys. We also had to get a piece of aluminum to mount the radar on.
The arch stands about 64" tall and the radar extension is another 10" overall around 74" total. The weight of the arch is 62 pounds (made from 2" schd 40 anodized polished aluminum tube) and the dinghy and 3.5 hp merc weigh less then 100 pds. total added weight is 162 pds. I forgot the weight of the radar and the support weigh an additional 23 pds.
The company we purchased the arch from is using our picture as there cover photo on there facebook page...(We got a t-shirt out of it!)

Attachments

Jul 15, 2014
Hunter H-376 Silver Cloud Marina
Nice job on your arch.

I'm starting a complete refit on my H-376 and considering adding a radar arch before I'm done. Who supplied your arch?

Tac

Dec 15, 2007
Hunter 37C isleton , CA
What is the brand of the radar arch you used web site ? looks good!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks great, Bub ! Really clean installation.. Doesn't look like Oak Harbor back there, Yall moved?

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Thanks guys, The name of the company was fishonsports.com I didn't buy there universal sail boat arch I bought there Sr. Arch less the four leg extensions and the four rod holders. It was $100 cheaper for things I didn't need. Ask for James.
And Claude, yes we moved to Biloxi to get closer to work. Stay on it four nights a week. Beats traveling back and forth to Slidell everyday. We actually enjoy staying on the boat. Now admiral wants a larger boat. Go figure...

Bub

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good News, Bub! Good to see that you guys are still doing OK !

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Bub, That looks really great! Our dinghy is always folded up in the back lazarette so it gets little use each year. Then all the overflow is in the rear berth, so we have the same problem with tight quarters as you did. I can see a solar panel on top of there in my future.

Were you able to gain access underneath for the aft most mounting feet for backing material and through bolts? They look pretty close to the edge. The load is in compression there so maybe its ok.

My bimini is a little longer than yours, but I think it would still work. I like the pricing as well.

A lot of places we go we have to med tie to the dock. If the dinghy could be raised all the way up, is there room to get off by ducking under it?

Thanks for doing all the research and sharing.

Allan

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Bub, That looks really great! Our dinghy is always folded up in the back lazarette so it gets little use each year. Then all the overflow is in the rear berth, so we have the same problem with tight quarters as you did. I can see a solar panel on top of there in my future.

Were you able to gain access underneath for the aft most mounting feet for backing material and through bolts? They look pretty close to the edge. The load is in compression there so maybe its ok.

My bimini is a little longer than yours, but I think it would still work. I like the pricing as well.

A lot of places we go we have to med tie to the dock. If the dinghy could be raised all the way up, is there room to get off by ducking under it?

Thanks for doing all the research and sharing.

Allan
Thanks Allan, Yes I was able to get thru bolts and nuts on all fours, 2 were mounted outside on the edge and the other 2 inside. We ended up using thick fender washers doubled up on the outer 2 and we had to grind the washer smaller to get the inner 2 to fit where we could get the nuts on them. If I were to do it again I would move the holes up and in about an inch. Its very sturdy and thick in the corners. I had to get in the storage areas on my back to get a wrench on the nuts Not fun.:cussing: Felt like I was in a coffin.
As for as raising the dinghy, I haven't tried that. I am at the house today and will be returning to the boat Thursday. I'll try it then and get back to you.

Bub

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Hey Bub...

Very well done! Should give others ideas. Looks like room for solar panel on top of port side as well.

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Very well done! Should give others ideas. Looks like room for solar panel on top of port side as well.
Thanks Dan, Yes the company (fish on sports) sells brackets to mount solar panels as well..
Bub

ps Allan , still working on the dinghy to see if you can open the ladder and climb down. Need to reconfigure the bridal system.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Allan, not sure how much height you need to exit the rear but,
I was able to raise the dinghy high enough to open the ladder. Hope this helps.,

Bub
Bub,

Thanks for checking that for me. I was originally thinking we could raise the dinghy high enough to duck under it and get off the boat when backed up to a guest dock. Might be a little tight, but not a show stopper. When we are going to a dock like that, we wouldn't need the dinghy anyway, so it could be left at home, transferred to the foredeck where we carry it now, or put back in the aft locker.

One last question...where did you end up relocating the fuel filler?

Allan

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Bub,

Thanks for checking that for me. I was originally thinking we could raise the dinghy high enough to duck under it and get off the boat when backed up to a guest dock. Might be a little tight, but not a show stopper. When we are going to a dock like that, we wouldn't need the dinghy anyway, so it could be left at home, transferred to the foredeck where we carry it now, or put back in the aft locker.

One last question...where did you end up relocating the fuel filler?

Allan

Here you go Allan

Attachments

TommmD

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Legend 355 Portsmouth, RI
Looks great .. very clean job.

Couple questions about hauling your dinghy .. I just put the blocks on the davits on my 355 & hauled my dink up for the 1st time.

- Why did you take the motor off? Esp since its a 3.3 & so light?
- How do you keep the dinghy bottom paint off the transom when you haul it up? Learned the hard way this is something to watch for.

thx..

Apr 14, 2010
Hunter 34 Slidell, La.
Looks great .. very clean job.

Couple questions about hauling your dinghy .. I just put the blocks on the davits on my 355 & hauled my dink up for the 1st time.

- Why did you take the motor off? Esp since its a 3.3 & so light?
- How do you keep the dinghy bottom paint off the transom when you haul it up? Learned the hard way this is something to watch for.

thx..
Thanks TommmD, We actually haven't mounted the motor yet. Once we do we'll leave it on and it is light about 37lbs.
No bottom paint on the dinghy as yet. We just wanted to see how it would fit on the back before we make our next move.

Thnaks

Sep 23, 2009
S2 9.2C Harbor Springs
solid?

Does the arc wiggle any side to side. I am thinking of putting one on a catamaran and have a heavier dinghy than yours. I really don't like the way they clamp on the inner reinforcing piece like that, but I do like the price. I figured for the price I could have a local welder add a full welded inner support on the forward arch and still be less than thaw Atlantic arch.

Your input appreciated. Their is very little info around on the forums about these arches and I have checked the fishing ones as well.

May 7, 2011
Hunter 34 Long Beach, MS
Nice Arch! Just saw it in person and was very impressed! I was about to move into the slip next to you but ended up down on D pier (south wall) in the small craft harbor! Yellow and blue H34. Hope to run into you down there sometime and check out the boat, mine's a mess currently.