RACOR VS. NO NAME BRAND

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I'm getting ready for the upcoming season. There is a large price difference between a racor T12R and a no name brand. Any thoughts as which way to go? They sure look like they would do the same job?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As is always the case... your boat your choice. I guess one could always experiment.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Why do they look like they do the same job?

In terms of a filter -- the particulate "screening" is one issue that presumably is easier to deal with than the separation of water and "dropping-out" some of the gunk before they simply end-up in the "filter".

The Racor (now owned and under the banner of Parker) that you are planning on use is a relatively low flow model. You don't have a very large engine and robust pump passing a lot fuel. I'm not sure that makes things easier to properly drop-out the water and gunk vs. using a somewhat larger filter system.

If you use a no-name model, I'd certainly check it a lot more often and see if it's really doing its job. That means not only does the filter look dirty after the season wears on, but does the bowl really collect what you expect. Of course, if you TANK and the fuel in it is clean (is treated right, has no moisture, etc.), the the filter doesn't work very hard. The issue comes up when the filter is asked to defend your engine and allow it to get you home. If things are prefect, then you don't need a filter. Of course, that's not likely with a veteran, boat.

The model you listed is a $100 item.

I'd ask a couple of experienced and reliable marine mechanics up there in Georgetown what they think. They might say, with your little flow, who cares -- or they might say you're crazy putzing with such an relatively inexpensive item. Have you asked your mechanic?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I'm getting ready for the upcoming season. There is a large price difference between a racor T12R and a no name brand. Any thoughts as which way to go? They sure look like they would do the same job?
Try Amazon. You may save a few bucks on the Racor.