Racing your Hunter 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2004
Hunter 34 Cape Coral, Florida
Does anyone race thier Hunter 34? I have just purchased a Hunter 34 in July and have raced her in 5 club races since then. We race PHRF and I wonder if anyone else races and, if so, does your boat sail to her numbers?

Ray T

Jan 24, 2008
Hunter 216 West End - Seven Lakes
Sailing to your handicap

I think most boats can sail to their handicap. All it takes is money and skill. Start looking at other racing boats to see what the owners have done to their boats. Most go fast mods. are applicable to all boats. Ray T

Jan 5, 2009
Hunter 28.5 Lake Lanier
I crew on a mid 80's model Hunter 34 shoal draft. We race cruiser class.

I don't know if we're sailing to our rating or not.

We have one guy in our fleet that just flogs everyone. Other than that we're pretty competitive. Our boat is better in light air than some of the other boats. It's also better down wind but that's probably just because it is shoal draft. It hasn't pointed as well as some of the others but we're getting better at it. Don't force it to point. We have a hard time getting the top tell on the main to fly, but when it does the boat will really move.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Racing H-34

I used to race my 34 all the time. Had a deep keel but what is most important is a slick clean bottom and a "properly" tuned rig. I could never compete effectively without a good set of racing sails. Keep your old dacron stuff for cruising and use your racing sails for racing. Cruising sails just can't compete against skippers who know what they are doing.
The 34 can sail to her rating provided she is set up and you have a half way decent crew. Good luck;)

zds

Oct 28, 2008
Hunter 34 -
I plan to race mine this Spring in the Neuse River, but we won't be competitive. For one, I won't buy racing sails. Also, the cooler opens while running.

I understand competitive racers but I'm not one of them. I like pushing the boat and the challenge of the race, but I'm out there because I love sailing, not because I want to win. That said, I don't want to be last either...

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 28.5 Tolchester, MD
Racing a Hunter 34: First, you need the deep keel to have any chance of winning the up wind legs; you need to prepare a smooth racing bottom, wet sanded bottom paint and fair in the keel and thru hulls: lots of labor and not that much $$ if you do it yourself. Take all the extra weight off the boat: no cost. Get a set of snatch blocks when you need to move the genoa out to the rail, add a multi purchase backstay adjuster and a boom vang; maybe a little more $$$.
You absolutely need a folding prop and at least decent sails; even if you have a roller furler get at least one racing headsail sized for the prevalent wind conditions you expect to sail in most; use the furler for the day to day cruising sail(s). Get a decent loose footed main with one or two full battens up top and IOR oversized battens for the remainder; tight weave Dacron or an upgrade to a higher tech cloth if you can affor it.
Read every sail trim book and racing tactics book you can find and go out and practice in all wind conditions you'dsee in a race.

Read Denis Connor's No Excuse to Loose.. and always go out expecting to win or you're not really racing.

Jun 27, 2004
Hunter 34 New Bern, NC
Hi ZDS,
I also race on the Neuse River. My Hunter 34 is named Longview, and I've been racing the winter series for the past 3 yrs.
Ed Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.