• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Racing on Galveston Bay

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
We were on the bay last Sunday, Mother’s Day, and we weren’t alone. Boats of all kinds and sizes on the water and people everywhere on shore.
Right or wrong and all the other issues with what activities should or should not be done in our current situation are on another thread for discussion.
Here’s the link to the video if you want to watch:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Love watching your vids!

Here's a tip.. At 2:50 into the vid for example, have your traveler no higher than needed to place the boon correctly with the right amount of twist. When eased that far with the vang on, all that extra sheet out allows the boom/sail to 'bounce', which is wasted energy!

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Love watching your vids!

Here's a tip.. At 2:50 into the vid for example, have your traveler no higher than needed to place the boon correctly with the right amount of twist. When eased that far with the vang on, all that extra sheet out allows the boom/sail to 'bounce', which is wasted energy!
Yes, see your point. We took the sheet in on the next tack, the traveler was hitting the stops.
Twist is the one thing I can’t ever seem to get right. But, this boat will let you know when it is right with the oversized main. I keep thinking lots of twist in light air, more than you think you need, moving to almost no twist in medium winds and back to lots in heavy till you reef. It’s a comparatively low aspect mainsail with a 16’ foot, so twist matters a lot. Crew tells me I’m too tight on the outhaul, but I try to keep shallow draft in the long foot to keep flow attached. I don’t know where I got that idea from, but it stuck. So, maybe not such a good idea?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Yes, see your point. We took the sheet in on the next tack, the traveler was hitting the stops.
Twist is the one thing I can’t ever seem to get right. But, this boat will let you know when it is right with the oversized main. I keep thinking lots of twist in light air, more than you think you need, moving to almost no twist in medium winds and back to lots in heavy till you reef. It’s a comparatively low aspect mainsail with a 16’ foot, so twist matters a lot. Crew tells me I’m too tight on the outhaul, but I try to keep shallow draft in the long foot to keep flow attached. I don’t know where I got that idea from, but it stuck. So, maybe not such a good idea?
Well light airs is where the action is at. In breeze, you set to keep the boat fast and flat. It will tell you when you're wrong!

In light air, and with a big main, you are correct the key is to keep attached flow. The first thing I would do make sure you have several sets of tell-tails across the body on both sides of the sail, and good tell-tails on the leech. Too much draft (a good mid-air setting) will stall flow in light airs. Remember that the outhaul only effects the lower 1/3 of the sail. The middle is controlled by mast bend (backstay). The top you twist.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Another race last Sunday with a little different twist to this video. Besides the cameras on my boat, I had a camera on a Hunter 40 and got clips from cameras on a J/105 and Catalina 355. So views from four boats of the race in the video.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
We suck in winds over 20 knots. Same problems, headstay sag and leeway heeled over. Should have reefed, but forecast called for decreasing winds and it never happened. Lots of fun, though.