Racing genoa for an H34

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clarke Moody

Have recently purchased a 1985 H34, which will be used primarily for cruising, but we will be entered in several competitive races on Narragansett Bay. After a disappointing finish in the Around the Conanicut Island race on Labor Day weekend, the need for a #1 genny has become apparent. Given the weather helm tendency of the boat in a breeze, I wonder about how big a #1 to get. Our #2 seems fine in a breeze from 15-20 knots. Understand that a 150 may be too big for PHRF? SHould we go dacron or spring for a 'yellow' sail? Any suggestions?

M

Michael Cohn

Maybe a 135?

Perhaps a 135 would be suitable? It mostly depends on the strength of the prevailing "light" winds. You can reduce weather helm by depowering your main and increasing backstay tension upwind. The size of the headsail has little to do with weather helm in general, but too big headsail will result in excessive heeling angles and thus excessive leeway... You might try to borrow different size headsails from your sailmaker and try them out before having one built. This should give you an idea of what size works well for you. I would go with Dacron for awhile until you determine the precise size you ultimately want to use. Kevlar is expensive and nasty to handle as well, and may really be overkill for your boat anyway. MC

F

Frank Pitts

h34 headsail

I race the H34 "Heart of Gold" (deep fin keel)out of Annapolis, Md.. I have found that a 155% is too much sail in anything over 12kts. Hence, I cut my 155% down to 145% when I installed roller furling. This seems to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.