Racing a Hunter

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
We got out on Galveston Bay for the GBCA Rum Race #4 on Saturday. Good wind, had a blast, came in third in class. About 30 seconds late on our pursuit start, got to the line early and had to circle to leeward before crossing. Came a little too close to a starboard tack boat on our first port tack at 2:50. Boat in another class threads the needle on port tack between me and another starboard tacker at 3:40. I wish I could have that much confidence in my helm when heeled. The wide angle distorts it, it was really close. He made it even without me adjusting course and veering off out of reflex.
Red C&C on the port cross right before that was in our class, they got first. And the big C&C with the black symm spinnaker "Parrot Tales" got second. What am I doing racing a Hunter 340 against boats like those?!?
We didn't fly our spinnaker with several rookie crew in +15 knots true. Everyone was wrapping or tearing spinnakers, saw one go up sideways. Maybe "Parrot Tales" wouldn't have caught us if I had our a-sail up.
I know Jackdaw, everyone on the windward rail, especially the big guy.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
It's all about the team and a Hunter can be better than any boat if crew is better than all the other boats.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Good times! Looks like a lot of fun.

The only comment I'll add is to ask crew members not to 'ratchet' a winch like the guy is doing at 2:18. This is very hard on the prawls; not only does it add wear, but is very hard on them and they can jam or break. Always try and make full turns if full turns are needed.

Oh, the spin trim on the boat is 5:37 is out of this world crappy.

But the conditions look great!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A good reason a hard Gybe doesn't give you a head bonk with the boom, plus all done from the cockpit too
Rock on...
Jim..

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Can't wait now for our fall racing season. Haven't been out in i don't know how long. If it's sunny there's no wind. If it's windy, there's a T-storm looking. Can't win.
@Jackdaw I didn't know that about the pawls, Thanks for the heads up.
One thing I did notice at the 2 min mark, however. The guy in the blue cap on port winch unwraps before pulling. Am I missing something? Also, the lazy sheet, same one, is left unsecured. A minor issue, maybe, but I've had one go overboard just as I needed it. I always keep two loose wraps on the lazy sheet so it's always ready to go. Maybe I'm just too anal.

Nov 8, 2010
One thing I did notice at the 2 min mark, however. The guy in the blue cap on port winch unwraps before pulling. Am I missing something?
Nope, that is just poor technique. Ideally he would leave (probably) two wraps around the winch, and ease the line from above the level of the wraps to prevent override. This allows adding tension to regain control when it loads up, as he has a problem with when the line it fully off.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Nope, that is just poor technique. Ideally he would leave (probably) two wraps around the winch, and ease the line from above the level of the wraps to prevent override. This allows adding tension to regain control when it loads up, as he has a problem with when the line it fully off.
Yeah, I tell everyone to have two wraps, maybe one if it's light winds when out of the tailers and to leave the lazy sheet on the winch with one or two. I wasn't watching, that's when we were rolling the jib out right before crossing the start, I was trying to get the furling line loose and watching traffic and the start line markers (don't want to hit one..., again). Mostly rookie crew this race, hope next week to have some experienced guys back. Red shirt eases the mainsheet (red line) proper in the next scene, he had only been on a sailboat once in grade school, just showed him how to operate a winch 10 minutes before.
Ratchet style winching is not good practice and not efficient, but it's a lot easier for some people. I didn't realize it was hard on the winch, thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Two other quick things:

1) good job writing on tape, in particular your start time.

2) While driving through a tack in breeze, there is zero reason to make your turn faster than you crew can trim, in particular with a jib. Pause for 2-3 seconds while head to wind. Your momentum carries you straight upwind (max VMG) and it gives the trimmers time to get the sail around. Do it right and they don't need winch handles.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Sun Spot Baby, sure had a real good time!! Fitting!
No wonder my winch needs servicing. Last time out in wind the starboard side 2-speed was not catching.