Racing a Hunter 23

Oct 3, 2019
Hunter 23 Key Largo, Florida
I just purchased a 1987 Hunter 23. I would like to race it occasionally. I could use advice on the best setup as far as jib size for racing. And also about whether to set up with a regular spinnaker or a reaching spinnaker. I have to get new sails anyway so I'll be starting from scratch and installing jib tracks for whatever jib I get. Thanks.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
What are the average winds in your sailing area? That helps with determining the head sail size. What type of courses? More reaching or windward. Symmetrical with a pole would probably be best though.

Oct 3, 2019
The average winds are usually 10-15 or so. And the courses are mainly triangular or modified Olympic. So, windward leg, reach, downwind, windward, downwind, windward comes up a lot. Florida Bay off Key Largo.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You may be restricted by local class or handicap rules. Check with local yacht clubs that sponsor the races.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Me, personally, I would go with a 135% Genoa and use a symetrical spinnaker. Your rules shouldn't be an issue if you are doing standard PHRF racing. I do the ratings for our PHRF fleets and you get a credit for any head sail under a 150% as that is what the numbers are based on. We use an average value from other clubs across the country for our base. We have other things in the formula as well but, using a 135 with a standard spinnaker, you should be fine. A quick check of the SI's won't hurt.

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks for the reply. There is no local Hunter 23 class. So I will get PHRF rated for the headsail that works the best. I'm hoping for input from other sailors as to what they are using in what wind ranges.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I guest-crewed on a Hunter 23 at our club last year. The race was in the low teens breeze-wise. The boat had a what looked like a roller furling 110% on it, and it was all sail the boat needed upwind. 3 on board. We did OK, 2nd place out of 12 boats that day. The very shoal keel means you need to keep the boat very flat to avoid big slideslip.

Downwind, your choice of spinnaker will be more based on your ability to find regular crew. A poled kite is more versatile but requires a crew of 4 that all know what they are doing. An asym on that boat (fine or ever better on reaching legs) will only require 3, and less skill.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019
Morgan 383 Grosse Pointe Farms
This one is easy.
Step 1 - Google search sailmakers near you
Step 2 - Go ask them these questions:
Your local sailmakers probably do a lot of business with local sailors. They also will know the cubs, classes, rules, etc. Their business depends on it. I've known my local Doyle dealer for 20 years. When I switched to a roller furler(a 3 second credit), I bought anew Man an #1 ad had my #2 and #3 recut. These people's livelihood depends on knowing the local racing community. Ring sailors spend money with e every season. Cruisers buy new sails every 10 years or so.
Step 3: Listen to them:
The good ones will not only make you the sails, they'll go with you the first few times you race and teach you how best to trim and treat your big new investment.

Now, take this for what it's worth. After more than 25 years racing with symmetrical spinnakers, I switched to Asyms.
Reason #1: Crew turnover is a fact of life. You may have the best bowman around who can handle the sheets, guys, pole, downhaul, and topping lift like a pro. I will guarantee he/she will: get married, have a kid, move, get a new job, get injured. Then, you're left with a complicated job and a newbie. Pain, screaming, and bad finishes are not far behind.
Reason #2: You really only need 3 spinnakers, tops. 1 AP(all Purpose), 1 Heavier Reacher(extreme luxury), and a Code 0. With symmetricals, you'll usually carry a .5oz, a .75oz, a 1.5 oz d, possibly a 2.2oz. If the rules allow, you'll also carry a staysail. Think $$$
Reason #3: Shorthanded crew is also a fact of life. With an Asym, you really only need 1 foredeck. And, they don't need to be as experienced.
Reason #4: Here, we received another 3 second credit for using an asym.

My experience with Hunters: Don't be offended but Hunters are not racing boats. PHRF clubs don't have ratings ready for them. That being said, the Hunters I race against have CRAZY high ratings. That means they're rated much slower than they are and we ow them a ton of time. If it's blowing over 12 Knts and most of the course is a reach or a run, they're tough to beat. If it's upwind, I'm home when they finish.

So, bottom line? Go to steps 1,2 and 3. You'll get what you need, and you'll probably spend less by not burying sails you don't need. You could even give them your budget for the whole set and they'd find a way to get you everything you need.

Good luck, and remember, always be on starboard

Oct 3, 2019
Thanks Champ for taking the time to give all the good information. I will take it and talk to the sailmaker. I will probably only race the Hunter occasionally for fun as I am racing a J/80 with my neighbor at the moment. I have to get sails for the Hunter so that's why I'm asking for what is the most useful to begin with. I appreciate the help.