Race for Independence Win

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
My B37, Grace, won the Race for Independence Regatta on the Rappahannock last weekend. We finished 1st in division in very light wind on Saturday and
3rd overall in Sunday's pursuit in moderate to heavy air which gave us 1st place for the regatta. I hope you Chesapeake sailors will consider entering it next fall; it supports the Independence Fund which helps veteran amputees with mobility devices beyond the basics the government gives them. Yankee Point Marina hosted it and did a wonderful job. Davidsailor, thanks for the help with the PHRF numbers.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nice win! Very impressive taking the bullet in light airs; not an Oceanis speciality.

Nice cause for the regatta as well.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Congratulations on your win! On our 37 we also took a first in class in our yacht club's fall invitational a few weeks ago, but that was in 12-15 knot winds perfectly suited for us.

Your success threatens my credibility when I say that my underperformance in our Thursday night races is due to the consistently light airs. :)

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Yes, I was concerned for the 37's competiveness in the light air predicted for the Saturday race, but the wind gods were with us a bit. Blowing 7-8 on the upwind leg allowed us to get ahead at the windward mark with a nice margin. The wind steadily dropped from there to very light and we ghosted across the line still in the lead. There were a lot of DNFs. Sunday's wind was 15-20:)

Oct 29, 2008
Beneteau 37 Wilmington,DE
Do you have the Shoal keel? I have observed the boat with the shoal keel does not point quite as well as say a Catalina 42, although the speed is good. As the wind picks up we seem to point a little closer so maybe the keel works better in more wind?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do you have the Shoal keel? I have observed the boat with the shoal keel does not point quite as well as say a Catalina 42, although the speed is good. As the wind picks up we seem to point a little closer so maybe the keel works better in more wind?
All boats point better in more wind. As the breeze comes up, the apparent wind moves AFT, allowing you to turn up into a lower apparent wind angle.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Yep, shoal keel, need that where I sail. I tell you what did help with getting a bit higher was when I switched out the prop to a folder. could be my imagination but I really think she gets a couple of degrees higher in light conditions than with the fixed prop. Less turbulence??