R&R Cutlass Bearing Tailpiece bolts or studs on Bayfield 25 ?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hello all,
A new sailor at our marina has a Bayfield 25
He is replacing the shaft (broken at the forward end), cutlass bearing, stuffing box/gland nut/packing/rubber hose.

Rudder and prop shaft have been removed.

The cutlass bearing is in a bronze tailpiece casting held in with what appears to be 2 studs with nuts on the outside surface.
(The cutless bearing itself uses the typical setscrew to hold it in place, so removing it should be no problem whether I help him make a puller from threaded rod or cut/fold/pull it out)

Having never done this before, he tried to remove the casting from the hull, but the threads were damaged, and the both "studs" are turning.

Are they studs that thread into a weldment ?
or bolts with a head inside the hull ?

How are they removed ?

Here's some photos of other bayfields with what appears to be the same config:

Bayfield 40 but looks like the same basic configuration
bayfield_prop.jpg
Bayfield 29 but looks like the same configuration
bayfield.jpeg

I'll be heading up to the lake this weekend, and will show him any responses or advice you can give.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Thanks @joker460 that document will help a lot.
The poor guy just bought the boat, and it would be great to have him floating before winter.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
If you look at the photos, there are pics with the cutless bearing removed.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
OK. I have requested membership in the Bayfield yahoo group, and waiting on acceptance.

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, In the meantime here are some closeup pics.

Here is an excerpt from a discussion where someone broke off the bolt:

We recently replaced the cutlass bearing on our B40. It sounds like you are talking about the two bolts that hold the stern tube in place. These had a slot cut into our bolts so the bolt could be held steady while tightening the nuts. The heads of the bolts are inside the hull, between the stern tube and the stuffing box. If this is your arrangement you may be able to pull the stuffing box off without removing the bolts. However, since your bolts have broken off inside the hull you may be able to drive them out with the same sized bolt.

We secured our bolts with 4200 which will make it difficult to remove. I hope yours were not installed with 5200, which will make it much more difficult. After you remove the stern tube you may have better access to the two bolts. Careful use of heat may help to loosen any adhesive.

A word of suggestion. Leave the cutlass bearing about 1/2" longer than the stern tube so you can use a pipe wrench to back it out of the stern tube. Much easier that cutting and chiseling it out. If there is enough room between the prop shaft and rudder you may even be able to replace the cutlass bearing without hauling out. At least that was suggested to me if we needed to do so in a remote location

Dan
B40 Maja

John, I replaced the cutless bearing in my 1983 B29 last summer. I think the "tube" is call a "shaft log". I have never figured out why we sailors have to have so many special names for stuff. Two bolts held my shaft log in place The heads were inside and difficult to get to. I had to use a 2 foot extension and a swivel socket. When you reassemble make sure the shaft log has the same side up. I didn't and the prop shaft was binding. I had to turn it 180 and every thing was fine.

Gary C.
B29 Biscuit

John,
I have a 32 and they are "not" studs....the stern tube is through bolted. You should be able after clearing the way take a punch or old screw driver and knock her out. Just a sugestion while your there replace the packing gland hose and clamps.
Bill,

Water would leak through the bolts holes if someone had not put 3M 4200 (or some other sealant) into the holes which would then also lock the bolts up pretty tight. Hence they may break without being held. As mentioned earlier, you want to hope that 3M 5200 wasn't used, or else you're going to have to pound pretty hard to get those studs out!

FWIW

I haven't changed my "shaft log" yet. How much play is too much? When do you know that you have to do this job?

George

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Thanks @joker460 !
That info about covers it all.
So.. the casting is actually the aft end of the stern tube and it's thru-bolted from the inside.

Thanks VERY MUCH for the help.
I've compiled it into a PDF that I can text/email him when I see him at the marina.

Hate to see the guy struggling with a major project so early in his ownership of the boat.
Especially when he was talking about getting some family time on it this year.
I'm going to suggest he look into getting a PSS instead of the original setup. He mentioned that the access is horrible, so best to upgrade and try increase the time until next service.

Apr 27, 2010
No problem. Working on the B29, you had to be a contortionist. I can't imagine the B25. He really needs someone that is only 1 foot tall :laugh: