Questions to users of 021/022 engines

Dec 24, 2009
Hi

I´m close to buying an Albin Vega and would like some input about the original gas engines 021/022 from people who still use them. Tell me what you think. Is it a bad idea to buy a Vega with one of these engines?
The reasons are that boats fitted with these engines are a lot cheaper and that I dont expect to use the engine very much. I learned to sail many years ago on bigger boats without engines. I´m also quite good at working on gas engines and have done various motor renovations on cars and motorbikes I have searched and read what i could find on this yahoo group as well.

Are the gas engines still usefull? I will have the boat in Scandinavia and I think that spare parts are possible to get there. I know that the engines are very old, but so are the original Volvo diesel engines.

Oct 31, 2019
Hi:
I ran my 021 engine about 30 years without having any major problem. I did all the maintenance myself. (that included the variable pitch prop). Only after the carbutator showed signs af aging (and necessarely replacement) I decided to install a diesel engine (diesel for safety reasons). To be honest, I think the 021 would have run another 30 or so years after a complete service.
Wilhelm, Vega 257

Feb 5, 2002
My O-22 is dependable and has been working fine for years, I also do my
own work. I don't think you could find a simpler engine to maintain; think
"old volkswagen".
Ric Eiserling
issues have been cooling (cleaned out the rust), carb (rebuilt), stuck
valve (got it freed), water pump (rebuilt), complete rebuild after 1k
hours. Combi is also owner serviceable.

av715

Aug 24, 2009
Going into my third season with my 021 and believe I have a handle on the personality that is this motor and propulsion system. If the Vega you are considering has a motor that runs and the combi is as well go for it! It is a sailboat, after all.

AJD
Victory, V715

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

Dec 24, 2009
Thanks a lot for your answers. That all sounds very possitive. Its good to hear from someone who´s actually using this engine. On the net you mostly find talks about having replaced it with a more modern diesel engine.
Then its mostly pessimistic, which is understandable because they have been changed because they didn´t run well...

One thing i forgot to ask. How much do they consume an hour?

May 3, 2004
Hi!

I bought a Vega with a diesel for my self, basically because I felt it was safer (fire) and that I was used with diesel engines from my parents boats.

One advantage with a gas engine is that there is still new parts manufactured for them that can be bought by Fors Marine in Göteborg, Sweden. For the old diesel engines (MD6A, 6B and 7A) there appears to be some parts that is not longer manufactured and only can be obtained from old engines. The gas engine is also very small ant its very easy to reach everything on it.

Yours,

Björn
Vega 2757

Feb 5, 2002
re fuel consumption, I'd confirm between 1/4 and 1/2 GPH; 1/4 figure being
smooth water and 4 knots on my boat.
Ric Eiserling, #935

Nov 8, 2001
Hi

I think if you talk to people that have had 021/022 and replacement diesel engines then I am sure they will be in favour of the diesel.

I do not like petrol onboard my Vega, diesel uses a lot less fuel an hour.

All in my opinion but I certainly would not have a petrol engine in my Vega.

Cheers

Steve B

Dec 15, 2009
my cooling passages rusted through, mercury makes a 6hp with a 25 in shaft that keeps the prop in the water and pushes to hull speed. wide open is 1 gph. at 1500 shiping and tax an ugly but effective propulsion solution

Sent: Tue, January 5, 2010 4:36:19 PM
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Questions to users of 021/022 engines

Dec 24, 2009
First of all thanks for your many replys.

I´ve been reading manuals etc. on this site:

Seems you can get more or less everything for the engines. incl. oversize pistons etc.
The engines are very simple sidevalve construction with low compression. I´m pretty sure that it can be maintained and used for many years or decades to come.
From what you guys have written, I think the reliability problems that some have with the 021/022 engines comes from the carburator, a 2 cylinder sidevalve construction with low compression should be very relaxed and not moody or temperamental.
The carburator is a very simple Solex unit. And I can imagine that like with more or less all European carburators from that time, it needs refurbishing quite often in order to work well. I can remember working on British motorbikes and the carburators were very problematic.
A good carburator should not be leaking You should not have problems with gas in the bottom. On Japaneese motorbikes from that period, you never really had problems with the carburators. They were very complex, but worked for many years without ever touching anything and with a very low level of wear.
It could be interesting to know if anyone has ever tried these engines with another carburator.

The alternatives to an Albin engine is an outboard or an inboard diesel.
The Vega is a bit on the big side for an outboard IMO, but its a possibility. An inboard diesel in good conditions is, of course, the best solution, but it has two backdraws. The original Volvo´s are good engines, but its difficult to get spares and like the world is today, I dont think it´ll be easyer. The Volvos are old as well, so this together, makes me say no to them. Then I prefer an Albin which has been looked after. The other possibilty would be a Vega with a newer engine, a Beta, a Yanmar, Nanny, whatever. Yes that would be great, but the price goes up a lot, so I´m not to sure I find it so interesting. I like to sail 99,9% of the time.

Again, thanks for your answers. Its a great yahoo group.
Anders

Oct 30, 2019
Anders,
It sounds like you know what you're doing in the engine department. I spent too much of my early days wrenching old British cars (I could have been sailing), and agree with your observations. It's amazing how long a machine can be kept running if overhauled and maintained well. Also, I think the key to keeping any piece of machinery in good prime is to run it often, not let it sit idle for months.
I was lucky in my Vega purchase, as #1331 had a Yanmar already installed to replace the old Albin.
Anyway, best of luck with your choice of boats!
Peter
#1331 'Sin Tacha'

Dec 24, 2009
Peter, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, I know my things and bits about engines, but like you, I wanna sail and not play the mechanic game. I think the engine is nice and reliable, but I have my thoughts about the carburater, and its absolutely no fun to try to make an engine work well with a worn out carburator. I will ask around and see if its possible to completely refurbish the carburator. . If the piston runs directly in the bady, its not an easy task.

Maybe I should just wait a little longer and save up some 2 - 3000 euros extra for a newer diesel engine. I will keep you informed.

Anders

Dec 24, 2009
Just a short follow up on the subject carburators for the Albin 021 022.

Fors Marin in Göteborg (Gotemburgo?) in Sweeden sells a new carburator named Tillotson, which they have prepared for the use with Albin petrol engines. It should solve the problems with leaking and unreliability.

Has anyone tried one of these?

Anders