Questions regarding boom and gooseneck.

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
Hello,

I am new to sailing and have some questions as to rigging on the C22; specifically the boom and how it connects to the mast. Any assistance or help is greatly appreciated.

1. How is the gooseneck of the boom supposed to be connected?

In my boat there is a simple screw and bolt being used, and it does not look right to me. Can someone explain or show how this is supposed to be?

2. My boom appears to be set a little high to me. There seems to be a set screw that limits how low the boom will be in the mast, or hight above cockpit. When I look at it the top of the boom appears to be in the gate of the mast, and is coming out a little bit. Should I lower the set screw an inch or two to ensure the boom resides completely in the mast?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Oh God.... Can someone else please help with this because just looking at that hack job makes me homicidal...

Sep 8, 2014
Snoopy... please tell me you did not do that to your boom? the P.O. did it right?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Oh my...

Clevis Pin is your friend -- definitely a ferrous (looking) bolt is not quite right... picture below:

clevis.jpg

and the wood screw should be replaced with your choice of:

harken shackles.jpg

It also appears that you have some ferrous fasteners on the gooseneck /boom attachment-- those as well should be replaced with Stainless.

Jul 13, 2015
OMG... I was focusing on the fasteners... holy crap who butchered the mast end of the boom?
Ugh.... you kinda need a new one. Below is what that end should look like (may not be exact)-- solid aluminum extrusion with gooseneck fitting flush:

boom.jpg

May 19, 2016
From CloudDiver's comment, I took a more critical look at my photos and can now see that the gooseneck is not installed into the boom correctly. I believe the boom needs to be shortened so that the gooseneck is fully installed.

I could purchase a new boom completely:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index...-14-cp-142-c-15-cp-16-cp-18-c-22-improved.cfm

I could just buy the gooseneck and retrofit it to this boom:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index...-14-cp-142-c-15-cp-16-cp-18-c-22-improved.cfm (all the associated hardware)

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index...-14-cp-142-c-15-cp-16-cp-18-c-22-improved.cfm (just the gooseneck)

Man, I have a lot of work ahead of me. :(

May 19, 2016
Snoopy... please tell me you did not do that to your boom? the P.O. did it right?
CloudDiver,
Yes, it was the prior owner. Not me.

I knew the boat was in rough shape, but I was not prepared for some of the jerry-rigging that the prior owner used to make the boat usable. I paid $1,500 for the boat, trailer, and 4-stroke engine, so I thought for the low price it would be good to learn on. However, I think this is going to end up costing me more in the long run. I was hoping that since the boat is cheap, I would not be afraid to "work" on the boat myself, since how much damage could I do? :) I never owned a boat before, so I wanted to wade into the stream lightly before unloading a bit of cash on a boat.

I ordered new halyards since they were torn to shreds, as well as dock lines, sheets, etc. I replaced some screws with stainless shackles; as you can see from the above photos he used any fastener he could find to hold the boat together. I am planning on changing out all the running rigging. My major problem is that I do not exactly know what the boat is supposed to look like, so I do not have a critical eye to discern what is wrong with it.

This is my "trial" boat. I wanted to see how much I would use it, total costs, marina fees, taxes, registration, etc. If I decide to keep it I will need to replace the electrics, it doesn't have a battery or working lights. I will have to replace the standing rigging. I will need to replace the keel cable. If not, I will sell it as is, and buy a better boat. For now, I like the idea of doing some work on the boat, I just don't want a full-time job!

Thanks for your help,

Snoopy

May 19, 2016
OMG... I was focusing on the fasteners... holy crap who butchered the mast end of the boom?
Ugh.... you kinda need a new one. Below is what that end should look like (may not be exact)-- solid aluminum extrusion with gooseneck fitting flush:

View attachment 124983
pclarksurf,
I have to drive by and look at that boom again. It's obvious that the boom is too long, as the gooseneck is not correctly installed. However, I hope that there is an extra aluminium piece on the bottom of the boom, that can be removed, thereby shortening the boom to the correct length. If not, I think you are right and I will need to purchase a new boom. CD has one for $263 + shipping:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/3045/boom-retrofit-kitbro-14-cp-142-cp-18-c-22.cfm

May 19, 2016
I found a wider photo of the boom, and it looks like there is an aluminum strap or saddle on the boom. I am hoping that it can be removed and I can move the gooseneck back where it belongs, then replace the incorrect fasteners.

Jul 13, 2015
I'm guessing of course-- but:
I'll assume that the PO either 1) damaged he boom, it's now too short and hence the hack job, or 2) it's not a stock spar and he got "close" but needed it to be a bit longer.

For the CD price- I really think your best bet is buy new. Solves a lot of problems with one install.

We're all probably cringing with you a bit-- I hope you are diving into this project with the proper perspective. You clearly have a lot of work to do , much of it will be as of yet undiscovered. I agree with you in principle-- cheap boat (relative term) and yes you can fix just about anything yourself if you are capable and willing. We all learned on something-- in your case this may be your teaching moment.

I'll give you my example-- my "cheap" boat cost me less than yours and I fully anticipate that I will reinvest my initial purchase price 2x by the time I'm done. A very well maintained C22 in my neck of the woods will fetch 5K on the high end. Everything you invest above that is for you -- you're not getting it back in equity, you're getting it back in the pure joy of sailing and working on the craft yourself.

Welcome to the neighborhood-- you're in the right place to learn a lot. Be safe, ask questions, and read this forum with reckless abandon.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
That does not help so much, as some of the photos are not of C22s, but other sailboats. The search algorithm is not that good. :)
Well if you click on the photos, like the very first one, it is identified as to what you are looking for. I am also confused by wanting to shorten the boom. The fasteners are the issue, as identified by@pclarksurf. You can remove or lower that set screw to get it where you want it. Use the attached rope and cleat to adjust the height and tighten the luff after sail is up.

Sep 8, 2014
Snoopy... Yes, a new CD boom @ $263 will solve all of these problems and may be the best option in the long run. To tell if the boom you have is the correct length, measure just the extrusion and it should be 10 feet exactly. That saddle was probably put on by the P.O. to extend the boom length, so it is probably too short. Chances are you could get $75 to $100 for the old boom if you sell it... there are numerous small boats that can use a roughly 9'6" to 9' 10" boom.
If you find that the boom you have is actually still 10 feet you can repair what you have and you don't need expensive new boom fittings. The one you have is correct, it just has those ugly bolts in there instead of pins. Take that nasty saddle off and that fitting should socket right into the boom. You can use aluminum pop-rivets so you won't have dissimilar corrosion issues. Just carefully take those bolts out and get the correct tack-pin and mounting pins from CD. BTW, If the boom is shorter than 10 feet, but only by an inch or two it will still work. What you loose in length just makes your out-haul a little more difficult, but there ways to create a 'shorter' outhaul that sill has good mechanical advantage.
Just start with a measure on that boom and we'll go from there.

May 19, 2016
Well if you click on the photos, like the very first one, it is identified as to what you are looking for. I am also confused by wanting to shorten the boom. The fasteners are the issue, as identified by@pclarksurf. You can remove or lower that set screw to get it where you want it. Use the attached rope and cleat to adjust the height and tighten the luff after sail is up.
John,

From what I am looking at in the photos is that the saddle piece extends the boom 1-2 inches, and from that extension, the gooseneck is not fully installed. i.e. It is not fully supported because it's not inside the boom. If I removed the saddle, shortening the boom by the 1-2 inches, then I can install the gooseneck properly. If, big if, the boom is not split or damaged beneath the saddle. I think the 1-2 inches of shortened length would not affect the sail, as the foot is not the full length of the boom anyway; I think the outhaul stretches the foot, but it is not the full length.

If the boom is damaged beneath the saddle, I will replace the boom via CD, which will come with a new gooseneck assy. e.g. Goosneck, slide, clevis pins, hook, etc. I will check tonight.

May 19, 2016
Snoopy... Yes, a new CD boom @ $263 will solve all of these problems and may be the best option in the long run. To tell if the boom you have is the correct length, measure just the extrusion and it should be 10 feet exactly. That saddle was probably put on by the P.O. to extend the boom length, so it is probably too short. Chances are you could get $75 to $100 for the old boom if you sell it... there are numerous small boats that can use a roughly 9'6" to 9' 10" boom.
If you find that the boom you have is actually still 10 feet you can repair what you have and you don't need expensive new boom fittings. The one you have is correct, it just has those ugly bolts in there instead of pins. Take that nasty saddle off and that fitting should socket right into the boom. You can use aluminum pop-rivets so you won't have dissimilar corrosion issues. Just carefully take those bolts out and get the correct tack-pin and mounting pins from CD. BTW, If the boom is shorter than 10 feet, but only by an inch or two it will still work. What you loose in length just makes your out-haul a little more difficult, but there ways to create a 'shorter' outhaul that sill has good mechanical advantage.
Just start with a measure on that boom and we'll go from there.
CloudDiver,

Your thinking is my thinking. I did not know what the exact length was or should be, so that is a big help. I will stop by the boat tonight and measure the extruded section. Then, the length seems right, I will remove the patch/saddle, and see what is going on there.

Thanks,

Snoopy_

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
John,

From what I am looking at in the photos is that the saddle piece extends the boom 1-2 inches, and from that extension, the gooseneck is not fully installed. i.e. It is not fully supported because it's not inside the boom. If I removed the saddle, shortening the boom by the 1-2 inches, then I can install the gooseneck properly. If, big if, the boom is not split or damaged beneath the saddle. I think the 1-2 inches of shortened length would not affect the sail, as the foot is not the full length of the boom anyway; I think the outhaul stretches the foot, but it is not the full length.

If the boom is damaged beneath the saddle, I will replace the boom via CD, which will come with a new gooseneck assy. e.g. Goosneck, slide, clevis pins, hook, etc. I will check tonight.
I notice the end cap missing at second look. Yes, not only are there poor fasteners, but that attachment does not look secure or safe.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I'm not a C22 owner but do have a couple of suggestions.
First, I did the same thing as you, bought a well used boat cheap, learned a lot, invested too much, then upgraded once I knew we liked sailing bought a decent boat.
Lesson learned? Your first boat won't be your last. Only invest what is needed to get you to sail safely to see if you like it and like working on boats.
While those screws holding the tack cringle and goose neck look ugly, they will work. Or just replace them with SS shoulder bolts. While a clevis pin would be best, I couldn't find the size I needed for my goose neck so I used the shoulder bolt.
I wouldn't jump into a new boom right away. Try fitting the end cap into the boom without the saddle, even if it means you can't fully tighten the foot of the sail. Loosen the stops in the mast and position the boom where it is fully in the mast groove, then tighten the stops.
Just do what is needed to make it work and be safe, then have fun sailing a bit. Then you can figure out how much you want to invest in the boat or put that money aside for a better boat.

Have fun!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Snoopy, this is what it should look like rigged up with the gooseneck below the sail grommet gate in the mast and a sail stop (about 10 bucks) that adjusts up and down so you can adjust tension on the downhaul (line down to cleat from gooseneck) Zoom in on the picture and you can make out the detail i hope, also the sharpie mark on boom is a reference mark for mast rake. Something for later can explain it you then. The bungee running along the bottom of the boom is a star brite centipede used to flake and hold the sail when dowsed.
IMG_20150604_120125.jpg

May 19, 2016
CloudDiver,

We were able to remove the saddle and unfortunately the boom is only 9'6" as you guessed. The boom did not appear damaged though, so I moved the gooseneck to the end of the boom and it fit, but the screws were stripped. I removed the boom completely and brought it home. I will attempt to use pop rivets to install as you suggested.

We removed the main sail and measured the foot and it was 9' 7", so I fear that it may be very loose with this boom at it's new length.