Questions about the running rigging on a C22.

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
Hello,

I am new to sailing and have some questions as to rigging on the C22; specifically the running rigging. Any assistance or help is greatly appreciated. I am trying to put all the questions in a single posting so you will recognize how green I am.

1. How should the tack of the jib be connected?

When I look at the deck plate at the bow there are three holes. The first one, furthest from bow has the forestay connected, is this correct? I assume the first hole would be more likely to attach the job shackle, and the forestay would be in hole number 2, or 3.

Here is a photo of how it is hooked up currently.

2. How should the job sheet be routed?

Initially, I routed the jib through a pulley on the cabin roof (red circles), then through a cam cleat. In light wind, this worked, but as the wind became stronger I think the jib sheets should be routed outside the standing rigging to a pulley on a track on the side of the hull (blue circle). I've seen PVC piping on some C22s to reduce chaffing of the jib sheet, so I assume it should be routed this way. Is this correct?

3. There are two pulleys at the bottom of the mast, attached to the cabin roof. What are these used for?

4. There are pulleys at the base of the mast, on each side of the halyard line, are these supposed to be used when hauling the sails up?

Thanks,

Snoopy_

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Answer re 1. Don't know about the holes as I have a Capri 22 but you better check the stem fitting that it has been reinforced underneath the deck. Otherwise based on the cracks/condition of the deck it will only be a matter of time until you have a catastrophic forestay failure, meaning it will get ripped out potentially and the mast will go.....

Even better replace stem fitting with this upgrade: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/359_17/stem-fitting-with-tang-c-22.cfm

I think the middle hole should be the one for the forestay. That way you have an attachment point forward for a spinnaker and behind for the jib.....

May 19, 2016
Answer re 1. Don't know about the holes as I have a Capri 22 but you better check the stem fitting that it has been reinforced underneath the deck. Otherwise based on the cracks/condition of the deck it will only be a matter of time until you have a catastrophic forestay failure, meaning it will get ripped out potentially and the mast will go.....

Even better replace stem fitting with this upgrade: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/359_17/stem-fitting-with-tang-c-22.cfm

I think the middle hole should be the one for the forestay. That way you have an attachment point forward for a spinnaker and behind for the jib.....
Thanks, I will look at the setup when I am next at the boat.

Snoopy_

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
With that cheek block on the mast and those blocks at the base, it could have been set up to run the halyards through the cheek blocks, through the double base blocks, through the fairleads on the cabin top back to the cam cleats. You then could raise or lower the sails from the cockpit.
Then the jib sheets could run through those blocks you have circled in blue then to whatever cleat is behind them.
Again, I don't have a C22 but it sure looks like that could be how it was set up. Worth a try.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Well where to start,
Forestay goes to furthest forward hole in stem plate not the furthest aft you have it in. The jib or genoa tack using a shackle goes in middle hole. Reserve the aft one for a jib downhaul pulley, or a spinnaker tack etc.
Then the jib sheets go out and around the shrouds, lifelines etc and back to a pulley on the genoa track and then to your winches and end up in a jam cleat or regular cleat on the gunwale of the cockpit. Never route sheets inside the shrouds or you will experience the worst tack of your life.
For now just bring the main and jib halyards down to the mast base and tie off on the cleats. After sailing it a awhile you can decide if you want to route stuff to the cockpit or not.
Again see pix , check back with me or others for details later. I have a pendant from the tack of my genoa , the white cable, to the middle stem hole to lift it a bit and allow me to see under it.
NGCC 2016  (41).JPG
IMG_20160328_154329.jpg
IMG_20151105_163422.jpg

May 19, 2016
Jacktar,

Thank you for the information. I have adjusted the forestry as suggested and adjusted the tension of the rigging accordingly.

Snoopy_

May 19, 2016
With that cheek block on the mast and those blocks at the base, it could have been set up to run the halyards through the cheek blocks, through the double base blocks, through the fairleads on the cabin top back to the cam cleats. You then could raise or lower the sails from the cockpit.
Then the jib sheets could run through those blocks you have circled in blue then to whatever cleat is behind them.
Again, I don't have a C22 but it sure looks like that could be how it was set up. Worth a try.
Ward,

Thank you. We actually were looking at the boat tonight and by deduction arrived at the same as your explanation. It seem the only method that made sense. At first we thought it went from the cheek blocks to the cabin pulleys, but that turn was too severe and would cause chaffing of the line, so we then decided they must go through the double blocks. However, the double blocks are frozen. They looked like they were trampled. The shielding is bent, one of the pulleys is cracked, and neither turn. In the short term we will not use them and look to replace them.

Thank you,

Snoopy_

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
.Just a heads up.... call them "blocks" not "pulleys". It's okay for a beginner to make that mistake... but... if you're gonna give advice... well.. I don't know....

Sep 14, 2014
Joe,
When talking to folks not up on nautical nomenclature I use terms they are most likely to understand for clarity. Its an old teaching trick. Of course I know they are blocks but did he? because he called them pulleys first. Just kidding.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Joe,
When talking to folks not up on nautical nomenclature I use terms they are most likely to understand for clarity. Its an old teaching trick. Of course I know they are blocks but did he? because he called them pulleys first. Just kidding.
You don't have to dumb down your comments... using conventional sailing jargon is a much more effective way of enlightening a newbie. Does a speech teacher say "ain't" because his student doesn't speak properly.

May 19, 2016
Joe,
Yes, dumbing down is a good thing. If you were a nautical engineer discussing boat characteristics, would you not use plain English so the person you are speaking to could better understand you? Dumbing down is a technique used amongst adults not to insult others. You should try it sometimes, it's really nice.

Snoopy_

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
No, I wouldn't. If someone called it a pulley on a boat, I would say: "Ah, what you call a pulley, when on a boat, is called a block."

Dumbing down makes no sense, boating or anywhere else.

May 19, 2016
Stu,
Yes, you are taking into consideration that the person you are speaking to is not a boat person, so certain terminology needs to be introduced and explained to them. So they understand what you are speaking about and they understand. You don't shit on the person. Dumbing down is a bit harsh as a term, but you get the gist.

Oh, and I spent over twenty years in the Navy and in humor we used non technical jargon all the time. For example, the bow was often referred to as "the pointy end." No one would shit on you for saying it.

Snoopy_

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
C'mon guys, let's get a grip. If someone uses the wrong nomenclature, instead of publicly calling them on it, it'd be much more civil to just use the correct terms in a response. The other person will get it, learn, and there is no embarrassment. Remember, we all started from scratch at one time.

Sep 14, 2014
Yes and if you don't get it right throw him out thru one of those little round windows in the side. Ha ha

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
Since I also have a rigging question I thought I'd jump on this thread rather than start another. I just stepped the mast on my '88, and both exit block sheaves are damaged. My questions are; 1) can just the sheave be replaced, or does the unit as a whole have to go? and if the latter, is the offering from Catalina Direct for approx. $25 ea. the best option? I am running 5/16 halyards, if that makes any difference to anyone's answer.