questions about a boat I am looking at, S2 92C

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
I really don't know much about this brand of boat other than the people that own them, love them. My question is perhaps a bit vague and I am sorry about that. The lake is too low to have it hauled for a survey. All sailboats seem to have some kind of shortcoming on should look for when analyzing a boat for purchase. I will be looking at it today so any help is appreciated

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
PS. Yes, I know it needs a survey and that is ideal, I agree, I have been on the road several days and just found this one on the way home and even though I tried to put things together in a hurry, it just wasn't going to happen. Thanks again

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The one S2 I looked at was a very nice looking boat and in very good shape for its age except for the bulkhead supporting the chainplates. That was a definite weak spot from leaks having rotted the wood.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The S2 line of boats are well regarded but they are aging (Or aged). Here is what dailboatdata has:
I have complained about the looks of it and was rebuffed by folks who own one and love it. They may chime in.
You'll have all the concerns that any boat of that age has:
Are the decks soft?
Is the bottom smooth and blister free.
Are the keel bolts sound?
Chainplates sound?
Standing rigging sound?
Is the mast step sound?
Engine in good running condition? Hours?
Is the boat complete?
Fuel tank sound?
Any of the above except perhaps the last two would cost you maybe up to the boat's value. Consider that a re-power would be at least $10,000 and maybe up to $20,000. Maybe you have DIY skills and could save a lot.

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
The engine was a Yanmar 2gm, ran strong, the same owner for last 21 years, brand new mainsail, the 2 genoa's were in good shape, still serviceable, no keel bolts on this model has been well maintained, surprisingly, the deck was solid, all of everything that was bolted to the deck was tight from the bow to stern, everything we turned on worked as it should, running rigging was not but in good condition chaini plates were solid, bedded well. no sign of water intrusion, everything I tapped was not compromised in anyway, in sum, I bought it, now I have to figure out how to get moved 5 hours south to my home lake,,,