Question on genoa lead adjuster

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
As the 2nd seasoon with my 310 comes to a close I have determined that a genoa car adjuster would be a really welcome adition to foresail handling. I invite comments from those who have them particularly the Gurhauer EZ glide system with the cam cleat on the track.

Secondly is the standard duty 1&1/4 the right unit? The heavy duty seems way overkill.

Thirdly what size and length of line do you is needed?

I'll talk with Gurhauer but I'd appreciate real life advice from C310 owners.

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
I installed them on my 309 (same sheet rig and deck layout as 310) lat year and love them. I find myself tweaking them to suit changing winds, tack, etc. Don't bother with the bungee cords to pull the cars aft - the sheet tension works fine. I think I used 30 feet of line per side. Garhauer makes good stuff and has good customer service.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Could you not install it and then figure out how much line you needed?

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
21' per side

I used 21' per side. I do like it and am much more inclined to adjust the cars now as it makes it very easy. Definitely get the cam cleats, and also use a thinner line as with the ball bearings and the block you do not really need a stout line - I was originally worried a thinner line might be harder to handle. I also passed on the bungee cord and instead just tied the bitter end of the line to the car to pull it back if I needed to.

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
Report on the Garhauer easy glide I installed a couple of weeks ago: we went out for daysails the last two Sundays in 18-25 kt winds both times. It is as close to best sail handling upgrade I've ever made on this or any of my past boats. Being able to fine tune the genoa lead while under load really made all the difference in optimizing sail shape at various reef points and points of sail. Thanks all for your input-no bungee needed-used 5/16 line which seems ideal. Highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.