Question on Changing Keel Wench in the Water

jmobx

Jul 2, 2024
Catalina 22 Kitty Hawk, NC
Hello! I just bought an '81 Catalina 22.
My current keel wench needs to be replaced. There's lots of rust around the drum, and I believe there are spots where the cable has broken through and is wrapping around the bolt instead of the drum. The previous owner seemed comfortable with it; however, I am not, and I did not notice until I was putting her away after sailing home.

I have not retrieved her trailer yet, and I do not want to deal with taking her out of the water, having to lower/raise the mast, and putting her on blocks. I fear she would not make it back in the water this summer. With that said, I would like to replace that wench.

So here's the big question: Would it be unsafe to beach her and replace the wench while the bottom holds up the keel?
I just ordered this 800lb Dutton Lainson automatic breaking wench.

I'm sure the wisdom is to take her out of the water and do the cable, wench, etc all at the same time. There are plans to do that stuff, but right now what I can see of the cable appears to be in good shape

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I vote to remove from the water on the trailer. You do not have to lower the mast to work on the keel cable. You can work on it on the parking lot.

jmobx

Jul 2, 2024
I vote to remove from the water on the trailer. You do not have to lower the mast to work on the keel cable. You can work on it on the parking lot.
Thanks for the input. I suppose that center bunk is enough to support the keel. That should be an easy enough swap to do at the ramp.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’m no expert on the Catalina 22, but isn’t it a swing keel? If so, isn’t it possible to just let the keel swing down, slack the cable, and make the repair? Shouldn’t the pivot hold the keel onto the boat?

jmobx

Jul 2, 2024
I’m no expert on the Catalina 22, but isn’t it a swing keel? If so, isn’t it possible to just let the keel swing down, slack the cable, and make the repair? Shouldn’t the pivot hold the keel onto the boat?
That's another thought I've been having. I'm worried that if there isn't enough cable and I let it loose, I'll lose the cable and be unable to get it and the keel back up. I think I'm being paranoid there though. I think if I can just clamp the cable somewhere to make sure it doesn't fall down the hole, I should be okay.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
That's another thought I've been having. I'm worried that if there isn't enough cable and I let it loose, I'll lose the cable and be unable to get it and the keel back up. I think I'm being paranoid there though. I think if I can just clamp the cable somewhere to make sure it doesn't fall down the hole, I should be okay.
True, losing the end of the cable would be a problem. If nothing else you could start by letting it down as far as the winch will let it to see if it goes slack. If not a clamp might work as long as you can get a good grip. Or if the cable is terminated with an eye you could put something through the eye to keep the end from escaping.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
You can certainly replace the winch while on the water. Just crank the keel down all the way and keep going. Don't drop the cable through the volcano.
The cable, however will be interesting. It's do-able, but you'll need to work on it ~ 6' under the water, one breath at a time. In my younger days, I would do it without an issue, but now.... I'd be more inclined to wait until I had the trailer unless you have a diver or are comfortable un-screwing and re-screwing a bolt under water while holding your breath, not dropping things, etc.

Load the boat on the trailer, and replace the cable in the parking lot. 10 minute job. While you're at it, you probably want to replace the turning ball and volcano tube. Both are cheap and easy. Then swap out the winch, or if you're pressed for time, put it back on the mooring and replace the winch at your leisure.

If you have issues (cable breaking, etc) you can always loop a line from winch to winch under the keel and use them to crank it up. Or dive down, attach a line around the keel and pass the other end up through the volcano. But this is absolutely worst-case scenario.