Question - H38 Dockside Water Supply - How to Use?

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I just picked up a 2007 H38.

The manual says the dockside water supply is plumbed in after the shipboard water pump and pressurizes the fresh water system, and that the pump acts as a check valve. There is no mention of any valves that need to be opened or closed or any other action.

When I connect the dockside water supply only the shower on the transom works, no water anywhere else unless I turn on the fresh water pump. That leads me to believe the water exiting the faucets is coming from the tank not the dockside.

Additionally if I do not connect the dockside supply the shower on the transom does not work pump or no pump.

Its acting as though there is a valve somewhere in the water supply after the transom shower (which is teed in right to the dockside supply line).

Does anyone have any insight?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........The manual says the dockside water supply is plumbed in after the shipboard water pump and pressurizes the fresh water system, and that the pump acts as a check valve. There is no mention of any valves that need to be opened or closed or any other action................
Congratulations on your new Hunter 38!!

My Hunter 46 shore water supply connects to the potable water system in the same manner as your manual describes and as shown in the schematic diagram below without any valves. Suggest reviewing your owner's manual potable water schematic diagram then trace the circuit from the shore water connection to downstream of the pump to confirm the plumbing line-up. Once you get it operational, you will find it really convenient. Please let us know what you discovered.

1619357019932.png

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Congratulations on your new Hunter 38!!

My Hunter 46 shore water supply connects to the potable water system in the same manner as your manual describes and as shown in the schematic diagram below without any valves. Suggest reviewing your owner's manual potable water schematic diagram then trace the circuit from the shore water connection to downstream of the pump to confirm the plumbing line-up. Once you get it operational, you will find it really convenient. Please let us know what you discovered.

View attachment 193138
Yes I've reviewed the manual and schematic and it appears it should "just work". I've dug into the stern locker from the stern and also from behind the aft cabin bunk and, while I can't get eyes on all the plumbing, I don't see any extra valves.

There's nothing to do at the actual fitting is there? No plug or Allen key or anything? I'm assuming not as water is actually making it to the transom shower.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Nothing to do at the actual fittings, no plugs and no allen key required to turn anything. Might look at the shore water line connection downstream of the pump.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have a 2008 38
there shouldn’t be anything to do other than connect the hose and turn it on. You might want to check under the galley sink as there is a manifold for the water system. Several valves that control the water flow to different parts of the boat. Perhaps previous owner closed some of them as part of winterizing or for some other reason. There is no reason to but who knows what they did.

A word of caution though. NEVER leave dock side water on when you are not on the boat. It’s a sure way to have a malfunction and flood / sink your boat.
I never actually use ours preferring to run off the tank. It turns the tank over and keeps it fresh. The only time I use dock water supply is in the spring when I’m flushing the system from winterizing.

An additional thought, there is a pressure reducer in the dock supply line. It’s purpose is to lower pressure so that municipal water pressure doesn’t damage the system. Perhaps there is something wrong with it. It doesn’t make sense that the reducer would impede flow to all but one faucet but who know. The manifold under the sink seems like a better candidate.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Ok got it fixed. Thanks everyone.

on the manifold under the galley sink even though “water inlet” was on, “transom shower” was in the off position. Turning that valve to on solved the problem. I’m not sure why yet, need to retrace the lines, it possibly a prior owner or even the factory has the two lines backwards or maybe just and idiosyncrasy of the setup.

Anyway, easy peasy. Now on to why the generator has hard start issues.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Glad you got it working.
again be sure to turn water off if you leave the boat.

Let me know if you have any other 38 related questions and I will try to help.
I don’t have a generator on mine so can’t help you with that.

Threed

May 4, 2018
Hunter 38 San Pedro
Sounds to me like they have the transom shower and the shore water supply tied together and are using the same line to feed the water manifold under the sink when the shore supply is attached.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
Glad you got it working.
again be sure to turn water off if you leave the boat.
I agree that shore water pressure is a potential danger. “Be sure to turn off water if you leave the boat”. Totally agree. But I take an additional precaution: Open the galley sink faucet before closing the boat when leaving.
Sometimes you forget one or the other of the 2 actions, but I have not encountered an occasion where I forgot both. Keeping the galley sink faucet open eliminates any change of building up pressure in the plumbing system. Of course this only works if you always leave the sink drain open :banghead:

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I agree that shore water pressure is a potential danger. “Be sure to turn off water if you leave the boat”. Totally agree. But I take an additional precaution: Open the galley sink faucet before closing the boat when leaving.
Sometimes you forget one or the other of the 2 actions, but I have not encountered an occasion where I forgot both. Keeping the galley sink faucet open eliminates any change of building up pressure in the plumbing system. Of course this only works if you always leave the sink drain open :banghead:
I wonder what risk is greater when away from the boat - forgeting to shut off the shore water or leaving a seacock open.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Now on to why the generator has hard start issues.
Ok. So what Genset do you have? Brand, model, etc. Our boat came with an 8KW Onan Cummins driven by a three cylinder Kubota diesel. If you have the same, perhaps I can help. If not, well...

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Thanks Terry its a Fischer Panda. I'll start a new thread when I'm ready to tackle it. I'm trying to go sailing lol

Mar 17, 2019
Hunter 450 Passage Chicago, 31st Harbor
I have a 2008 38
there shouldn’t be anything to do other than connect the hose and turn it on. You might want to check under the galley sink as there is a manifold for the water system. Several valves that control the water flow to different parts of the boat. Perhaps previous owner closed some of them as part of winterizing or for some other reason. There is no reason to but who knows what they did.

A word of caution though. NEVER leave dock side water on when you are not on the boat. It’s a sure way to have a malfunction and flood / sink your boat.
I never actually use ours preferring to run off the tank. It turns the tank over and keeps it fresh. The only time I use dock water supply is in the spring when I’m flushing the system from winterizing.

An additional thought, there is a pressure reducer in the dock supply line. It’s purpose is to lower pressure so that municipal water pressure doesn’t damage the system. Perhaps there is something wrong with it. It doesn’t make sense that the reducer would impede flow to all but one faucet but who know. The manifold under the sink seems like a better candidate.
I'd just like to second this comment about not leaving it connected when you're not there.. l didn't know that and hooked the water up and left the boat, came back and the bilge was going.. turned out the electric head had a leak, and that would have sunk my boat if my bilge had failed!

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I turn it off on the dock, and also I have an inline on/off device at the boat end of the hose also turned off. Hose remains connected however.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I'd just like to second this comment about not leaving it connected when you're not there.. l didn't know that and hooked the water up and left the boat, came back and the bilge was going.. turned out the electric head had a leak, and that would have sunk my boat if my bilge had failed!
Wow close call. Glad you caught it before there was a disaster