Question from a new 23 O'Day owner

Feb 25, 2019
O'Day 23-2 Lake Keowee
Hi All, I just completed the purchase of a 1978 23' O'Day and have a question about spreader boots. The boat doesn't have any and we've already managed to snag and tear the Genoa twice during tacks.

Looking at spreader covers, they make three sizes. The two that seem close are 1/2"-1" and 1"-2".

Does anyone know which is correct?

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
@atomichead : If you haven't already bought a set, you might look at this style:
spreader_boots.png

(Taylor Made SB58.58 : https://www.go2marine.com/product/92332F/taylor-made-spreader-boots-spreader-tip-covers-guards.html).

The rubber variety usually require some rigging tape to secure in place, which then has to be redone for inspections. And I'm told that the rigging tape will sometimes hold moisture in place, accelerating bimetallic corrosion between aluminum spreaders and stainless shrouds and cotter pins. The fabric design lets them dry out. At least that's the theory (perhaps it's apocryphal; I have no idea how to test it. And it might not be quite as important for you, as it looks like you're on a freshwater lake).

They're similar in price to the rubber variety; they seem to be working for us, but we only have a couple seasons on them, so I can't speak to their longevity.

(Note: I didn't see this model here at our SBO host's store, but perhaps they're here somewhere).