Question about the Hunter 146

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2004
- - -
I am thinking about purchasing a new Hunter 146, I like the price and the fact that 4 people can be in the boat. My concern is the boat tipping over, I have read several replies about the boat being weight sensitive. Has anyone on here ever had 4 adults in the boat at once? Thanks for your response. Matt

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 33 York River
Four in a 146

I have had four not very large adults in the 146 once. It seems to handle that load pretty well. In fact its stability is probably enhanced. I think you will find however that moving around to do the things that need doing is a bit difficult with that many folks trying to stay out of one another's way. I would say that three adults is a more comfortable full load. Just my opinion. As I mentioned on an earlier post, I have managed to turn mine over once. I think that is more likely when sailing alone than with a full load. I also think in my case it was a combination of way too much wind and not quite having a feel for how much heel is too much for the 146. I would also highly recommend a mast float which is sold as an option with the 146. With the float, righting the boat becomes a minor inconvience rather than a major headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.