Question about sail spreader(s?) for a 77 oday widgeon

Jun 26, 2020
O’day Widgeon Guilford, CT
Okay, so the long and short of it is I was recently given the childhood boat I use to sail on as an inheritance from my great uncle. I know very little about sailing other than what he’d direct me to do when we‘d go out. so, now I have a 12 ft O’day 1977 widgeon sitting in my yard and I don’t see myself ever getting to use it solo. I listed it for what I thought was a fair price, got tons of attraction and an older gentlemen came to buy it within hours of the listing being up. He came and saw it, loved it, said it was perfect in every way.. .. except. It was missing ‘’sail spreaders’’ .. he went home to do some research in where he can purchase them, with no luck, he insisted he searched everywhere. i as well had my cousin check his fathers old shed and garage and he said he saw nothing of the sort. Not sure what to do here, I can’t in good faith sell it to someone else knowing this now. Can anyone help me out a little or point me in the right direction? I’m having a hard time understanding how this part is such a rarity. Thank you all in advance, cheers.

Attachments

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Okay, so the long and short of it is I was recently given the childhood boat I use to sail on as an inheritance from my great uncle. I know very little about sailing other than what he’d direct me to do when we‘d go out. so, now I have a 12 ft O’day 1977 widgeon sitting in my yard and I don’t see myself ever getting to use it solo. I listed it for what I thought was a fair price, got tons of attraction and an older gentlemen came to buy it within hours of the listing being up. He came and saw it, loved it, said it was perfect in every way.. .. except. It was missing ‘’sail spreaders’’ .. he went home to do some research in where he can purchase them, with no luck, he insisted he searched everywhere. i as well had my cousin check his fathers old shed and garage and he said he saw nothing of the sort. Not sure what to do here, I can’t in good faith sell it to someone else knowing this now. Can anyone help me out a little or point me in the right direction? I’m having a hard time understanding how this part is such a rarity. Thank you all in advance, cheers.
Have you contacted this sites sponsor the SBO store? @Dave Groshong

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on receiving a boat. Sometimes small boats have spreaders sometimes not. Inspect the mast. Here is an image of a rigged boat. It shows spreaders. Does the mast have marks at about the height shown in the image?
5966F5D7-E906-4820-8425-FAF8605EB2F2.jpeg

They look like a piece of aluminum pipe, about an inch in diameter with fittings on one end to attach to the mast and a slot on the other to hold on to the shroud.

Here’s an image of a Montgomery 15. No spreaders
98DD8E28-CCE2-4AA0-93A0-B7EBB5A7EA57.jpeg

You may find that your boat experimented with no spreaders. You would need to have good angles on the shroud attachments and a solid mast of proper size, thickness and diameter.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There is also the O'Day forum. The Widgeon is pretty popular so someone on there will either have a set or know where to find them for you.

If you were just asking about finding spreaders for yourself, instead of for resale, I'd suggest you make them. They are as straight forward as jssailem describes. Angle and length are the other parts of the equation.

And, welcome to the Sailboat Owner's forum. I'm sorry to read that you don't intend to sail. If you are interested in learning, Connecticut is filled with active and generous sailors willing to share their expertise. I am a member of the O'Day Mariner Association and the annual rendezvous is held in Connecticut where many of its members live. I, however haven't had the chance to drive down and attend, unfortunately.

Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
Spreaders are usually used with a rig having upper and lower shrouds. If there is only one chainplate attachment on each side, there was only one shroud per side and another clue that the rig didn't use spreaders.

Jun 26, 2020
Congrats on receiving a boat. Sometimes small boats have spreaders sometimes not. Inspect the mast. Here is an image of a rigged boat. It shows spreaders. Does the mast have marks at about the height shown in the image?
View attachment 181584

They look like a piece of aluminum pipe, about an inch in diameter with fittings on one end to attach to the mast and a slot on the other to hold on to the shroud.

Here’s an image of a Montgomery 15. No spreaders
View attachment 181585

You may find that your boat experimented with no spreaders. You would need to have good angles on the shroud attachments and a solid mast of proper size, thickness and diameter.
Thanks so much, very helpful.

Jun 26, 2020
There is also the O'Day forum. The Widgeon is pretty popular so someone on there will either have a set or know where to find them for you.

If you were just asking about finding spreaders for yourself, instead of for resale, I'd suggest you make them. They are as straight forward as jssailem describes. Angle and length are the other parts of the equation.

And, welcome to the Sailboat Owner's forum. I'm sorry to read that you don't intend to sail. If you are interested in learning, Connecticut is filled with active and generous sailors willing to share their expertise. I am a member of the O'Day Mariner Association and the annual rendezvous is held in Connecticut where many of its members live. I, however haven't had the chance to drive down and attend, unfortunately.

Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Gotcha, thanks so much. I would LOVE to sail, it’s just something I don’t have the time for at the moment.. plus my land lord AND fiancé aren’t crazy about the boat sitting my yard (peacefully).. so with all that said I have no choice but to her go. Thank you again for your time

Jun 26, 2020
Spreaders are usually used with a rig having upper and lower shrouds. If there is only one chainplate attachment on each side, there was only one shroud per side and another clue that the rig didn't use spreaders.
Hmm. Interesting, thank you! Will be posting a picture of the setup shortly
Here is a link to the spreader. 1/2" x 13". Looks like it is $21. Good luck.

thanks so much!

Jwudgy

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Widgeon Medford, Wisconsin
I have a '75 Widgeon. The spreader is an round aluminum bar 13" long by 1/2" wide. Your mast seems to have the attachment brackets plus the spreader boots. Attached is a photo of my spreader bar (the Widgeon is in storage right now--knee surgery--arghhh). I think you should be able to sail this boat by yourself without any trouble. I've been doing so for 45 years and it is great fun.

Attachments

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
I learned to sail on a Widgeon in the 1960’s. They are remarkably good boats for their size.

D&R bought all the spare parts inventory when O’day went out of business 30 years ago. I expect they have had to make new by now - but I’d be confident that their spreader will be a perfect fit.

Your potential buyer will be happy to know about D&R. It’s a most unusual to have an ready source of spare parts available for a 50 year old boat.