question about roller furling and trailers

Jun 4, 2019
Catalina, Newport Catalina 22, Newport 17 Landlocked in NE PA
I have a Catalina 22 with CDI furling jib and I'm wondering if it a pain to rig every time I trailer? my trusty Newport 17 can be together in about 15 minutes by myself... the 22 had a bit more rigging and I'm wondering if it'll be too much work to rig and launch for just a day sail.
thanks

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I never thought my Hobie 18 with roller furling was a pain. Raise the mast, connect the shackle under the drum to the bow eye, then run the furling control aft and connect the sheets. Besides the other setup for the rest of your rig, you're good to go. Really, easier than a hank-on.

-Will (Dragonfly)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
depends on how well you set up the mast raising system. when I had a Vagabond 17 with cdi roller fuller I used the forstay to hoist the mast, which made it very easy. by using the forestay to pull the mast up you don't have to also deal with the furler as you raise.

Nov 23, 2018
Vandestadt & McGruer Ltd. Siren 17 Choctawhatchee Bay
On my Siren 17, I leave the roller attached to the bow and disconnect the jib from it. This allows me to leave the furling line in place. Saves a little time with rigging/de-rigging.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
On my Siren 17, I leave the roller attached to the bow and disconnect the jib from it. This allows me to leave the furling line in place. Saves a little time with rigging/de-rigging.
You reminded me, that's how I did it too. The furling drum hung between the pontoons during trailering.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former Catalina and Hunter dealer, I will explain what to do.
Not sure which boat on the Catalina 22 either the newer Catalina 22 or Catalina Sport 22 comes with a mast raise system which you should consider. I know the system all too well and will allow you to raise and lower the mast by yourself. It can be adapted to the older Catalina 22's.

As for Furling systems, I would not suggest the hard metal extrusions as they will break which is why I went exclusively with CDI flexible furlers. Yes there are others but one with the two halves that have to be mated together tend to move within themselves which is not good. As for the CDI flexible furler, you can lay it down on the deck and slight bends will not hurt it. Suggest that for the drum a cover be attached so it will not damage the deck or mast. In fact I use to leave the genoa only if it has a sunbrella cover on it on the furler. Did this on many boats.
If you wish to send me a private message feel free to do so but there is more to discuss which is why a phone call can give you more specific details which is why I would ask that you comment back on the forum what you are going to do.

dave condon

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Properly set up a furler should make no difference in the time other than the minute it takes to run the furler line to the cockpit. For short periods of storage I leave the sail rolled on the furler reducing the time needed to hoist it. This adds weight, to the furler, and might make it a little harder to get the pin in the stem fitting. Not bending the furler is the biggest problem. Build an easy to apply rig that holds the furler drum forward of the end of the mast when trailering. It's best to design this so it can be installed and removed once you have moved the mast back to the step. This keeps furler from sliding down the deck and bending, when rolling the mast back to the step. Figure out a way to control furler drum when the mast is being raised. This can be as simple as another person holding it, or a way to mount it to the gin pole (if you use one).

Jun 4, 2019
thanks for the replies... I'm 3 hours away from her and it's COLD so I'm dreaming of sailing while I sit on front of my fireplace

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When you get ready, send a private message as I was instrumental in the designs. Understand cold weather but my snow finally melted.

When pinning the mast, much easier with another person wiggling the spreader bars gently sideways to include unpinning

Jun 4, 2019
my boat has the CDI flexible furler.
no snow up there now, but it's still 3 hours away and my wife and I opened a cafe here in our home town about a year ago so we've been pretty busy with that. I'm hoping to free up more time for sailing this spring.
my boat has the "roller crutch" to lift the mast after it's been pinned, from what I've seen on YouTube I should be able to raise the mast with the main sheet and this "crutch". The thing that has me "nervous" is that I'm not sure if the shrouds are at least close to what they need to be.
Will the mast stand with no tension on the back stay?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
We need to talk. Send another private message with phone number and location. Your info is not retained nor given out as that is my policy

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Cold. Sure. The trusty truck barely displayed -33 today. Barely, brcause the fan motor bearing took exception to being used and the instant condensation on the display wasn't about to be wiped off.
The legacy CDI design is a royal pain to load and unload the sail. The designs of the last couple years have a shive in the top cap so the line moves a bit better, but the foil is still a pain. On our Mac, years ago, we always left the sail loaded up and just lashed the whole works to the mast. It survived quite well for over 15 years of some serious road miles.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Cold. Sure. The trusty truck barely displayed -33 today. Barely, brcause the fan motor bearing took exception to being used and the instant condensation on the display wasn't about to be wiped off.
The legacy CDI design is a royal pain to load and unload the sail. The designs of the last couple years have a shive in the top cap so the line moves a bit better, but the foil is still a pain. On our Mac, years ago, we always left the sail loaded up and just lashed the whole works to the mast. It survived quite well for over 15 years of some serious road miles.
:plus: Leave the sail on the furler unless you want to spend an extra 15 minutes during mast raising and 25 minutes during mast lowering.

The furler and sail does add weight that affects the process of mast raising. The furler will slide and sag to one side which tends to rotate the mast on its axis and/or pull the mast to one side. Your raising system needs to prevent that from occurring or else you risk damage to the step/hinge/ Cabintop.

For the Catalina 22, you will need to undo the forward lower side-shrouds as well as the forestay. The backstay should stay attached. If it were my system, I’d use a mast raising bridle to control side sway on the mast, and a ginpole with a bridle (or Aframe without a bridle, which is more bulky) to control induced rotation when the mast sways sideways.

And never ever stand underneath the mast or shrouds while raising or lowering it. :yikes:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
-33 YIKES!! OK, it's warm here... but still I'm 3 hours away from her and stranded on dreamer island

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Will the mast stand with no tension on the back stay?
On level ground (boat level) light wind, the mast with forward lower (2) and aft lower (2) shrouds attached will stand without any other shroud or stay attached. Think triangulation. Aft lower (2) shrouds and forestay will hold the mast up. Upper shrouds (2), forestay and backstay work. Just don't go sailing without all shrouds and stays attached.

Jun 4, 2019
On level ground (boat level) light wind, the mast with forward lower (2) and aft lower (2) shrouds attached will stand without any other shroud or stay attached. Think triangulation. Aft lower (2) shrouds and forestay will hold the mast up. Upper shrouds (2), forestay and backstay work. Just don't go sailing without all shrouds and stays attached.
thank you, I was just worried it wouldn't stand long enough for me to get the forestay and back stay attached. I'm coming from a very simple rig on my Newport 17, just 2 shrouds and a forestay.
my backstay has an interesting arrangement... I wish I had a picture of it. it is split with two metal rings which I think are for tensioning it. I also have a CDI furler which I didn't have on the Newport... for me this boat is a big step up.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I have a Catalina 22 with CDI furling jib and I'm wondering if it a pain to rig every time I trailer? my trusty Newport 17 can be together in about 15 minutes by myself... the 22 had a bit more rigging and I'm wondering if it'll be too much work to rig and launch for just a day sail.
thanks
As stated by @RussC, it depends on how well you set up your rig for use. Agree with @DrJudyB that leaving the sail on the furler is also key to a quick setup/takedown. You're looking at 20-30min setup and slightly longer to take it down and secure for trailering home; if you do a reasonable job of setting the rig up for trailer sailing. Your mast raising rig is a key element, and most be capable of quickly raising and lowering the mast in total control (@DrJudyB :plus:). You will find yourself building accessories to streamline the process. Per @Crazy Dave Condon, a furler drum cover that's padded will keep the drum from scratching the boat up during the procedure. Trying to manage drum movement while raising and lowering will slow you down. Alternately, you could control drum movement as @LeeandRick suggests. Optimizing your time, once you're at 30 minutes, involves finding a minute here and there.

My dock lines are secured to stanchions and are in place during my 14 mile tow. All lines are as close to where they will be used as possible. My boom furling main is secured to stanchions on deck right next to the the mast. Just make sure that your approach is secure for the towing speed you need. I've got a 14 mile tow with a 55-60 mph section.

I'm in the process of switching from bungee cords to Velcro straps, looking for a few more minutes...

Bottom line, if you can handle 30 mins to setup, and 40 mins to takedown and ready for trailering home, then yes; daysailing is worth it. I do it for as little as 3-4 hours on the water.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You can install a mast raise system as the new Catalina and Catalina Sport 22 have them which is like the ones on the Hunter water ballast sailboats which I designed. Very quick to take down