Question about Rhodes 19 and Mariner

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chris Kottaridis

I have stumbled across some local boats for sale, an O'day Mariner and a Rhodes 19. I am trying to get some information on the differences. I have no persoanl knowledge of O'day boats so expect some stupid questions. It seems the specs are about the same, but the Mariner seems to have more of a cabin, while the Rhodes 19 seems to be strictly a daysailer. Any info on a comparison of the two would be appreciated. It seems that in general Mariners are more popular and that Rhodes 19's are harder to come by. I guess I am a little interested in how easy it is to resell one over the other. That way if I decide to upgrade boats, or maybe decide sailing isn't going to work for me, one might be easier to resell then the other. The Rhodes models seem to go back to 1959 and stopped being manufactured in 1980 while the Mariner started in 1963 from what I can figure from poking around the web. I don't know if the Mariner is supposed to be an upgrade to the Rhodes or not. Any historical information would be interesting. Any comparison of the sailing characteristics would be appreciated. If I do buy one of these it'll be the boat I learn how to sail on (not exactly true I have done some sailing before by renting but it's been a while). My wife isn't particularly sea-going and would prefer a stable boat (assuming I could get her in it at all). I am a little more adventurous and wouldn't mind at all hiking out a bit if need be. While most of the time I'll be handling the boat by myself, I do want to be able to take non-seagoing type, like my wife, out with me and I want them to have a good time. All we have is a bunch of rather small lakes here so there is no concern for "big" seas, but we do have high winds that kick up pretty fast. Where in the hull of these boats would I look for the hull numbers? Thanks for any info or advice Chris Kottaridis

B

Brian

Tough Choice

Boy, do you have a tough decision. The reason they seem similar is they share the same hull, just have different decks. The mariner did and to the best of my knowledge still does enjoy higher sales than the Rhodes 19. To their credit they are still both in production. The choice is what boat fits your need best. I've put a link below to the model info on this site, which has owner reviews and other information. Also I listed the sites for each model. Good Luck http://www.usmariner.org/ http://www.rhodes19.org/

R

Rodger K Ham

go for the Mariner

Hi I'm Rodger and I sail a Mariner,I think the advantage of the Mariner is the potty you have no place for one on the Rhodes 19. My wife loves having all the things you have no place for on the Rhodes,Plus you can sleep on the Mariner. I have extended the starboard side of the V berth all the way aft to the end of the cabin. This gives me a comfortable place to sleep on those trips I take without my wife. These trips never go more then one or two nights but its nice to sleep on board once or twice a year. The Mariner also gives you storage under the V beth for that porta potty and two batts (I like to sail at night) Both boats use the same hull only the deck and cabin lay out are different. I use Rhodes 19 sails on my Mariner With the bigger main and the big jib I have (not a Rhodes sail, 150% of Mariner jib) light air is no stopper for us we still make 4 or 5 knts. Both boats are still built today by Stuart Marine corp. (207)594-5515 No real web site. but they will send you some info if you call them Hope some of this helps P.S. The Mariner or Rhodes makes for a great boat all around not just a good first boat that you will grow out in a few years. I get many comlements on my Mariner from peaple on much bigger boats. And last I leave you with THE BIGGER THE BOAT THE LESS YOU SAIL IT

V

Vic "Seven"

Just make sure that the oak stringers ...

are in good shape as the keel hangs on them. You know you're moving on a R19 when the rudder starts to vibrate. The Rhodes is your basic day sailer ... great little boat for a few hours to kick around in.

Status
Not open for further replies.