Question about paint filler

Feb 11, 2017
I've just completed a massive re-coring of my front and rear decks. I'm putting down on Kiwi Grip on all the nonskid areas. Appreciate any comments good or bad about Kiwi Grip.

Also, there are numerous small nicks that are in the area of paint where the new coring was fiber-glassed into the old areas. They are in an area very difficult to sand properly, the joint between the deck and bulwarks. I was wondering, is there anything that I could mix into the finish paint I'm using that would add thickness to an area where there is a small nick that needs filling? I'd like to just paint that area to fill it. I'd then lightly sand by hand and put the final coat of paint on over it. Would something like micro-beads work with paint? How about Cavacil?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
West or MAS Epoxy with sandable filler would flow and level irregular surfaces and provide a lasting bond.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A high density primer might work. Something like Interlux PrimeKote.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
It's really difficult (or possibly impossible) to get a good finish and filler in one. In the industrial world, filler is always done first then finish applied overall.

Ken

Feb 11, 2017
Some of the these nicks didn't show up until I put on the first coat of Easypoxy. So, whatever I use will need be able to stick to the Easypoxy. That's why I wondered what could be added to the same paint that would stick and fill. Then a final coat.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Final coat is not really the time to be doing surface prep. Why can't you put on another coat of EasyPoxy?

Jan 11, 2014
Some of the these nicks didn't show up until I put on the first coat of Easypoxy. So, whatever I use will need be able to stick to the Easypoxy. That's why I wondered what could be added to the same paint that would stick and fill. Then a final coat.
Time to go back to square one. Sand the Easypoxy, apply Petitt's high build epoxy primer and try again. The paint is really too thin to build up much thickness and adding something to it will change the color and texture.

Or just live with the nicks.

Feb 11, 2017
I don't mind putting on several more coats of Easypoxy in these spots. If the color or texture changed it wouldn't bother me as I'll just add a couple of coats. The problem is doing heavy sanding in these areas. I just need something that can be added to Easypoxy to fill a number of nicks that can be easily sanded. Then I'll put on one or two more finish coats.

Jan 11, 2014
I don't mind putting on several more coats of Easypoxy in these spots. If the color or texture changed it wouldn't bother me as I'll just add a couple of coats. The problem is doing heavy sanding in these areas. I just need something that can be added to Easypoxy to fill a number of nicks that can be easily sanded. Then I'll put on one or two more finish coats.
Call Pettit. See what they say.