Question about Jib Furling System

Jun 10, 2021
O'Day 272 Lake Norman
I own a 1987 O'Day 272. The UV cover on jib/genoa began to un-stitch so after much research, lowered the sail and took it for it to be repaired (still not sure how I did it). Since the jib halyard looks so old, I decided to replace it with new 3/16" line. But found a black plastic piece (the traveler ?) that I thought could be reused but just found out that it seems to be glued/cramped into one end of halyard. Is this something that has to be specially ordered or how is this attached to the new line?

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What brand is the furling system? Where was that piece on the furler? You should determine the make and model of your furling unit, then search for the owner's manual. Chances are if it is a part needing replacement, you'll find it referenced in the manual.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Joe brings up a good point. Do you have a manual? If not, once you confirm the manufacturer and model then download the manual with schematic diagram and parts list to determine what the part number is.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I own a 1987 O'Day 272. The UV cover on jib/genoa began to un-stitch so after much research, lowered the sail and took it for it to be repaired (still not sure how I did it). Since the jib halyard looks so old, I decided to replace it with new 3/16" line. But found a black plastic piece (the traveler ?) that I thought could be reused but just found out that it seems to be glued/cramped into one end of halyard. Is this something that has to be specially ordered or how is this attached to the new line?
Looks like one of those CDI furlers with the internal halyard. If so, you probably need to buy a replacement halyard from CDI?

Jun 10, 2021
O'Day 272 Lake Norman
Thanks Joe and Sail SFBay for your responses. Unfortunately, the manual for the furling system was not included with the boat (purchased late October of 2020) and have not been able to find one online as I don't have a clue as to what model it is. Sailfanatic, yes, it is an old CDI model as confirmed by some of my much more experienced sailboat neighbors with an internal halyard, even though none of them had ever seen that particular system. There are no markings or numbers or a model #. I did contact CDI but the response I got was that it is a "plastic traveler" on an old halyard model that it is a discontinued model and they have no parts for it. He did offer to sell me a new one if I was interested and if I could tell him which model I have (see above). I sent him more photos of it to see if he can identify it.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Good morning , an educated guess would be an FF4 model. You don't need to replace anything . There isn't much that needs attention on the CDI furlers . The halyard is internal ,however there needs to be a second halyard or messenger line connected to the halyard it self .
When the head of the sail is down the halyard itself will most likely be at the top of the mast . Otherwise you will have somewhere around 50 plus feet of halyard to wrap around the small cleat at the base of the furling drum. The system is different than most other brands . It's dead simple ,reliable .Before I drop the genoa ,I uncleat the CDI halyard and attach the second halyard or messenger line and drop the sail .
The traveler slides down the opposite side pulling up your messenger line .

Jun 10, 2021
O'Day 272 Lake Norman
Hello Timm R, good morning. I was able to figure out and drop the sail using more or less the procedure that you describe with proper messenger lines. Sail is being fixed as we "speak". What I am trying to figure out is a replacement for the plastic traveler to which the halyard appears to have been "machine pressed". The internal halyard looks fine but the end that connects the sail at the top of furler, which is exposed to the elements looks very bad. In fact, bowline attaching sail pretty much was toast and had to cut it off. I did contact CDI and they were very helpful and honest in saying that my system is no longer available as well as parts for it. He suggested I shop around for a shop that would press that piece again with new halyard but no luck in finding that little plastic part. I might shorten and reuse that line as much as possible when I get sail back and pray for the best. Thank you for your input.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
I'm hoping to help . The picture that you posted is exactly what I have .I used about 1' of 1/4" Stay Set line from the hole in the plastic traveler to the headboard on the genoa. Right or wrong that was the way it was when I bought it . I have a brand new genoa ready to be used .I was planning on doing the same simple set up . It works ,it's simple why change it ?
I made several stainless steel travelers and a plastic one from UHMW . Benefits of working in a machine shop. I couldn't figure out how to improve a simple but effective part .

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Good morning , an educated guess would be an FF4 model. You don't need to replace anything . There isn't much that needs attention on the CDI furlers . The halyard is internal ,however there needs to be a second halyard or messenger line connected to the halyard it self .
When the head of the sail is down the halyard itself will most likely be at the top of the mast . Otherwise you will have somewhere around 50 plus feet of halyard to wrap around the small cleat at the base of the furling drum. The system is different than most other brands . It's dead simple ,reliable .Before I drop the genoa ,I uncleat the CDI halyard and attach the second halyard or messenger line and drop the sail .
I have an old CDI on my O’Day 322. Mine has a wire halyard, and the “shuttle” is metal. But works the same. I keep a spare line on the boat to tie to the shuttle whenever I need to lower the head sail. Otherwise, the shuttle is at the top of the extrusion with no way to get it down.

Greg

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 272LE Douglaston
Greetings,
I have the exact same boat (LE) and furling system. My plastic piece also broke. There was a rigger who worked out of a yard in Port Washington, NY. He made me a new halyard with a metal insert (instead of plastic). Wasn't even expensive. He is since retired. Someone took over his business. If you do not find someone locally, try him. The company is the Rigging Locker. Sorry I do not have a card for his phone number.

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
You are correct. The original furler on a 272 was a CDI FF4. I was able to order some of the parts for mine 4-5 years ago directly from CDI. Back then, you could buy must parts for the older CDI units except for the aluminum extrusions. You are also correct about adding a messenger to the halyard (I learned the hard way and had to tie off my mast and disassemble the old aluminum tubes to be able to reach the halyard).

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I'm hoping to help . The picture that you posted is exactly what I have .I used about 1' of 1/4" Stay Set line from the hole in the plastic traveler to the headboard on the genoa. Right or wrong that was the way it was when I bought it
That is backwards, the bitter end of hte halyard line should be tied to the head of the sail and a line tied to the plastic slider is used to pull the slider down from the top of the furler, raising the sail. Then a shorter line is substituted for the line used to pull that slider down. I have a copy of the owners manual for the CDI furlers of that vintage, will try to find and post it.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Sunbird , I did indeed find the way you are describing on the CDI website . The main concern I have is keeping the halyard tensioned when switching out the shorter line

Jaxn

May 17, 2021
O'Day 272 Percy Priest
I was worried about the ability to maintain tension the first time I swapped headsails on my CDI. I was way over thinking it and it ended up being a piece of cake.

Mine is a little different. The pull side is the same line as the halyard, but de-cored. I tied a loop in the de-cored part, attached a longer line to the loop. After raising the sail, I untied the loop, tensioned the sail, and tied it off. I did it facing in to the wind on a light air day, but it was trivially easy.