Question about head

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
Catalina 30 TRBSWK Sandusky BPM
More on my macerator adventure. I had to remove my ball valve to get it to move after lubing. When I was installing it the thru hull started to spin. I am a worrier so that meant I had to remove it to inspect. Bits of hard white stuff fell out as it was being removed. I tried to remove my engine raw water thru hull to compare but it was attached like it was meant to with no intention of being removed. Why would one fail but not the other three? I am planning to replace with bronze and 5200, sound ok? 93 tall rig

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I would not use 5200. If you ever need to replace it, you will have a real fight on your hands and can do damage to your hull. Better to use a sealant made for the application -and that means something not “permanent”. I used boatlife caulk for below water application when I last rebed a through hull.

Why this one and not both? Could be lots of reasons...
- whoever bed them the last time did a less perfect job on one or the other
-one valve gets more use and therefore loosened the bedding material
- valve handle angle or geometry puts more force on one thru-hull vs the other
- somewhere in its life, someone pushed something against the bad valve/thru-hull

Like I said, could be any number of reasons.

Best option now, assuming the boat is on the hard, would be to remove all of the thru-hulls, check the valves and replace as necessary and rebed all of the thru-hulls properly.

Then you won’t have to worry about them.

Greg

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
Catalina 30 TRBSWK Sandusky BPM
I got your reply too late. I used 5200 with a properly prepared surface with plenty of tooth. I agree and I hope I have no problems. As I am under pressure to launch from owner (wife) I am moving too Fast sometimes, Just too much maintenance to catch up on from PO. It seems like every Job finished leads to a new adventure. We hope to launch this week If every thing passes my before launch checklist. 2 Years is a long time to not get to sail, I miss it. I also had to use old thru hull as it fit into the hull and I could not find one within 70 miles, also trying to avoid that discussion of another delay.