Question about head

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
Catalina 30 TRBSWK Sandusky BPM
Since I am on lake Erie and cannot use macerator pump I was wondering if I could use the pump with a momentary switch between the Head and waste tank. Then I can use the thru hull for a pump to cool refrigeration systems. One less hole in hull that way and better bio in tank with smaller particles of waste.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I have wondered about a similar idea. I sail in the Salish Sea and unless I go up into remote waters of Canada the use of the macerator is not needed or legal. But there are those times up in Canadian waters where there is no other option so I must have one. The problem is that after several years of no use, will it work when I needed? I was thinking that it might be a good idea to put a 3-way valve in the discharge line and plumb one to the through-hull and the other to a tee in the tank inlet line.
That way I could recirculate the tank to pre-grind the solids when needed and give the pump some exercise, I would also be able to give it a good flush when pumping out and rinsing the tank.
Opinions?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Initially that sounds like an interesting idea. Applying the concept of "KISS" any additional plumbing to the discharge of waste is another point of possible failure. Perhaps Hayden you just need to sail more into Canadian waters and exercise the pump while there? :poke: Same outcome more fun..

I would be interested in any plumbing experimentation and outcomes...

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
I was also thinking that a pump that is never used will not work when you want to use it. You should see the plumbing mess in that area of my boat.
I am planning on pulling all hoses and replacing with PEX.(potable water not waste or engine)

Oct 22, 2014
I am planning on pulling all hoses and replacing with PEX.(potable water not waste or engine)
It is a big task but one you will be pleased with when finished. Such a task is in my future. Just procrastinating at the moment.

1. Pex for Potable water.
  2. For Holding tank and black waste: Raritan SaniFlex hose or the old standard "Trident 101/102"
  3. Engine... Proper diesel rate engine hoses. Reinforced and when needed performed so it will make th emend and not collapse. Remember you want heater hose between the engine and your hot water heater to care the engine coolant - not PEX.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Since I am on lake Erie and cannot use macerator pump I was wondering if I could use the pump with a momentary switch between the Head and waste tank. Then I can use the thru hull for a pump to cool refrigeration systems. One less hole in hull that way and better bio in tank with smaller particles of waste.
A macerator pump between the toilet and the tank is a very bad idea for a bunch of reasons: It would be an obstruction in the toilet discharge line unless it's run every time the toilet is flushed, and would have to run exactly the same amount of time as the toilet is pumped...if not long enough, the flush won't go any further, running too long damages the impeller. And what if it won't run? Now you have a toilet you can't flush!
Neither solid waste nor quick-dissolve TP need maceration...solid waste is 75% water, so dissolve very quickly in water, plus it's broken up as goes through the pump...and quick dissolve TP practically dissolves in your hand when it even gets damp.

If you can't use the macerator pump for its intended purpose, remove it and use that thru-hull for something else.
--Peggie

Oct 22, 2014
Well that clears that up. Thank you Peggie.
After enough repetitions we may get it. No promises.

Apr 5, 2009
If you can't use the macerator pump for its intended purpose, remove it and use that thru-hull for something else.
--Peggie
Thanks Peggy. What about the idea of using a 3-way valve to allow the macerator to function as a recirculation pump so that you can give it some exercise occasionally given that I only get to an area that allows overboard discharge every few years?

macwho

Jul 24, 2015
A macerator pump between the toilet and the tank is a very bad idea for a bunch of reasons: It would be an obstruction in the toilet discharge line unless it's run every time the toilet is flushed, and would have to run exactly the same amount of time as the toilet is pumped...if not long enough, the flush won't go any further, running too long damages the impeller. And what if it won't run? Now you have a toilet you can't flush!
Neither solid waste nor quick-dissolve TP need maceration...solid waste is 75% water, so dissolve very quickly in water, plus it's broken up as goes through the pump...and quick dissolve TP practically dissolves in your hand when it even gets damp.

--Peggie
I was waiting for your reply, thanks for the info.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
What about the idea of using a 3-way valve to allow the macerator to function as a recirculation pump so that you can give it some exercise occasionally given that I only get to an area that allows overboard discharge every few years?

You'd just be adding unnecessary complexity to a simple system...and also doing something that would be just asking for problems, 'cuz macerator pumps have never been famous for their durability and are even less so now that everything Jabsco sells in the US is now made in Mexico with materials and components sourced from China and other Asian sources. They're cheap and easy to install in a tank discharge line. So just install a new one when you're gonna spend enough time in waters where you can use it to dump a tank.

--Peggie

Apr 5, 2009
That is where I am now. I bought a new macerator prior to a 3-week cruise far north into Canada about 7 years ago. Since then, it was unused because I was always in US or able to find a pump out. Last summer, I was on the first refill/flush after an end of cruise pump out when my bilge pump started running which ain't normal. As I went below to find out where the water was coming from, I was greeted by that incredible aroma of the inside of a holding tank. The 4 rods that hold the macerator to the motor had completely rotted off and the stupid thing just fell apart. That was a fun cleanout. I removed it and screwed in a PVC plug into the Tee and capped the through hull. I will not buy another until I can go back north!

Apr 5, 2009
But I don't want to have to buy and install a new one very time I want to go to Canada.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The 4 rods that hold the macerator to the motor had completely rotted off and the stupid thing just fell apart. That was a fun cleanout. I removed it and screwed in a PVC plug into the Tee and capped the through hull.
Exact same thing happened to me about 4 weeks after I first launched my C30 last year. I fixed it the same way. Luckily pump outs are plentiful on the bay.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If people would read ALL these threads frequently, you would know those rods are failure-prone in due time. Same with the macerator... if you don't run water through to flush them out, the dirt will solidify and jam the impeller. Then people want to blame that cheapo pump brand.

Apr 5, 2009
If people would read ALL these threads frequently, you would know those rods are failure-prone in due time. Same with the macerator... if you don't run water through to flush them out, the dirt will solidify and jam the impeller. Then people want to blame that cheapo pump brand.
That was why I was thinking it might be a good thing to put in an exercise loop for the macerator to run around. I am not allowed to acutally use the thing anywhere withing 100 miles of my slip so it doesn't get used much.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
That was why I was thinking it might be a good thing to put in an exercise loop for the macerator to run around. I am not allowed to acutally use the thing anywhere withing 100 miles of my slip so it doesn't get used much.
I think that's a good idea, too, but when you consider the cost and trouble to install it - well, there are other more pressing upgrades. And beer.

I would like to have one of those internal whip-like cleaning things that some RV's have, that you connect a hose to, and the pressur causes them to whip around and rinse the inside of the tank. But then when I think of the health and even legal issue of connecting a drinking water hose (on the dock) to a holding tank without a serious backflow preventer - then I jut put it out of my mind.

Apr 5, 2009
I think that's a good idea, too, but when you consider the cost and trouble to install it - well, there are other more pressing upgrades. And beer.

I would like to have one of those internal whip-like cleaning things that some RV's have, that you connect a hose to, and the pressur causes them to whip around and rinse the inside of the tank. But then when I think of the health and even legal issue of connecting a drinking water hose (on the dock) to a holding tank without a serious backflow preventer - then I jut put it out of my mind.
Those RV tank rinses have backflow protection. The install of the exercise loop would not be complicated or expensive. put a ¾" three-way valve in the outlet line from the macerator and run a hose to a Tee fitting in the tank inlet. Done. turn the 3-way to recirc and run the pump. you can use it dirty to pregrind the hard stuff then use it clean after flushing the tank at the end of a cruise.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Easier said than done. I have never seen my macerator pump, it's buried somewhere behind the holding tank and under the water heater. And, the hose and seacock are under the aft bunk. Where would I put that 3-way valve? And what's to stop the macerator from back-pressuring the joker valve?