Question about a racor230r2 and anti-siphon valve (vetus)

Sep 19, 2019
Hunter 30T Comox
Good Day,

I recently purchased a 1992 Hunter 30T and wanted to upgrade my fuel filter as well as learn what other owners have done for their anti-siphon valve on the 2gm20F. The valve was currently way to low and bent sideways below the cutlery drawer, it was not effective and I want to move it higher and possibly replace it with a vetus as Roy Mosteller describes in a post. Does anyone have pictures they could share of their setup or of Roy's? Also Roy had mentioned installing a Racor230R2 in the engine compartment - has anyone done something similar and do you happen to have any pictures that you could also share?

Thank you for your time!

Cheers,

Fahim Awan

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Below is a photo of my Racor 230R2 in-line diesel spin-on filter / separator mounted to the bulkhead in the engine compartment for my 4JH3-TE Yanmar.

1631804912886.png

Per Racor 230R2 - Fuel Filter Water Separator – Racor Spin-on Series | Parker NA to ensure selection of the proper Spin-on Series filter, follow the steps below:
1. Choose mounting type (one small filter model is available as an in-line unit).
2. Choose “cold weather” heater type or none.
3. Select total flow rate through the fuel system (gpm or lpm).
4. Choose bowl material; engineering plastic or aluminum alloy. Aluminum is for high heat locations and enclosed gasoline applications.
5. Choose hand primer feature or none. The plunger-type priming pump is manually operated vertically like a piston and has no diaphragm. The button-type priming pump is operated with your palm and uses a diaphragm.
6. If available, choose bowl type: standard or deep.
7. Choose the micron rating.
8. Choose port size: standard US or metric if available.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Not to talk about a different subject, is there a tool to unscrew the clear bowl from the filter itself? It is tapered with ridges and hard to hold on to.
Haro

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
In case you are interested in sizing the primary fuel filter refer to this Racor technical bulletin: Racor Products Technical Guide (sflot.ru)

It states: Find the total fuel flow rate. This is the total flow that will pass through the filter. You may obtain this information from your engine or equipment manufacturer or your Racor dealer. Use this information to select a Racor filter that has a greater flow rating than your equipment’s total fuel flow rate. If this information is not available use the following formula for estimating. Diesel or kerosene fuel systems: Gallons per Hour is Engine Horsepower (maximum) multiplied by 18% or GPH = HP X 0.18.

Installing a larger "fixed" pleated filter capacity than you require will extend replacement intervals. Consider the primary filter micron size you want. Secondary filter on the Yanmar engine I understand is a 10 micron. I use 2 micron filter as I would rather sacrifice the primary vs. secondary filter and get extremely long life since the diesel is pretty clean andthe diesel is treatred with a bioside.

Sep 19, 2019
Hunter 30T Comox
Thank you for that info, that is a great article from good old boat and also great info from racor. As I don’t see much room for elevating the siphon break above the engin/waterline due to the confines of the H30T engine bay I am curious what other owners have done to solve this particular issue?

cheers,
Fahim