Quality of boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Ericson 29 tall rig old orchard beach, maine
I am interesed in purchasing an 1986-87 vitage Irwin Citation. 1.) what is the difference between a 31 and a 31 citation if any? 2.) I have owned O'days and Catalina's how do Irwin's match up? 3.) as compared to Hunter? This one is a CB version..any thought on that issue? Finally, at 11' Wide can it be towed over the road by me and my truck without a lot of hoopla? Help?

Jun 13, 2005
Irwin Barefoot 37 CC Sloop Port Orchard WA
This might help with the difference between the 2 31's

http://www.irwinyachts.com/Drawings-Manuals-Engineering/Drawings-manuals-Engeneering.htm The centerboard boats sometimes get vibration from the board when it's down and they sometimes clunk in the trunk at anchor. They have a cable which has to be maintained but they generally give the sailing performance of a deeper draft boat without the draft, and when the board is up you can go where deeper boats can't. I have a 1980 Irwin 37 CC. At that time there was a big difference between the Tartan 37 (High end) and the Hunter 37 (low end) with the Irwin right smack in between, and I think the price relayed the quality. I think the O'Day is closer to the Hunter and the Catalina close to the Irwin, but each has its strong and weak points. As to towing, you will probably have to get a wide load permit to be legal, but not everybody does. My 37 was trucked back from Mexico with an 11-6" beam and I know the trucker didn't have a permit because he was concerned about crossing the Narrows Bridge. Good luck Joe S

S

saberlin

clearification

Dear Joe S. , If I read you correctly you do know not know the difference betweent the Irwin 31 and the similarly named 31 Citation? And as to quality you believe the Irwin sits in the middle between what I consider the low quality Hunter and the higher quaility Oday and Catalina? Would that be an accurate anaylsis? As to the center board info; those rattles are nothing less then I expect. I was more interested in the sailing caracteristices, the quality of construction vs the attachment point of the CB Pin to the bottom of the boat where it is weakest. Is this boat as good a quality as the vintage Hunter, Oday and or Catalina? Stevenaberlin@aol.com

Jun 13, 2005
You are correct about the 31's

But I consider the Irwin to be a better Quality than the Hunter and O'Day of the 1980's and about the same as the Catalina. None were up to the Tartan. On the Ask All Sailors Forum there are a lot of Hunter owners who believe the newer Hunters are a great production boat and many think the same of the Catalina. I haven't heard anything about newer O'Days or even if they are still made. They O'Day) had a factory in Fall River MA where My old family home was, but I haven't been back there in many years. If I remember the figures correctly, The 1980 Irwin 37 was about $15000 more than the Hunter 37 and the Tartan was about $15000 more than the Irwin. I have owned two Irwins, a Competition 30 and a custom 37 Mk V. The 30 was exceptionally fast, an excellent Sailor and an excellent offshore boat. It had a bridge deck to minimize cockpit water volume, and was built like a tank. It had no openings in the cockpit, like lockers, to allow water entry below. But on the other hand it had minimum storage. I had to use the Stbd Quarter berth for storage. My 37 has lots of interior and is so much more comfortable below that it's hard to describe, but it is nowhere near the sailor that the 30 was. It is relatively short rigged but that means that I don't have to reef as soon as a taller rig would have to. But I was racing when I had the 30, and cruising with the 37. I have owned this one since 1994 and have upgraded it significantly. I had it in Mexico for 6 years and it behaved quite nicely going down the coast from WA. I wish that I knew more about the other boats. Why don't you go to the other site and get some opinions on the O'Day and Catalina. I know they will like the Hunter. Good Sailing Joe S

Jan 22, 2008
Thanks for the help

Thanks for the info. I will check the other site and just so you know Oday closed up shop in the late 80's or early 90's. there last production as far as I know was the euro desinged 322 and 302. Steven

Jun 13, 2005
Here is something on the 31 & the Citation 31

http://www.irwinyachts.com/aft-cockpit_files/AFT1.htm

Jan 22, 2008
I have looked and can't see much difference

I have looked at the specs and the only difference that I can see, and I don't believe the numbers are true,,,is that the 31 has a shorter CB TRunk and is a whoping 6 inches shorter at the water line???!!!! And that it is almost 1.5 feet shorter in the beam. Do you think that is that true. saberlin@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.