Puzzled by new H170 main sail features

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Hi all, been sailing our H170 for years and love it. We recently invested in a brand new main sail and it has a few things I don't quite know what to do with and the H170 manual does not show them...

1. The tack has a heavy rope sewn into it that hangs down below the boom. Look like a great way to pull the leading edge tight as the luff often gets a bit lose after sailing in heavier weather... but how is it supposed to be rigged? It is only about 12" long and there is no hardware on the mast to tie it off - it seems too short to wrap on a cleat even if there was one close enough. Photos 1a and 1b.

2. On the trailing edge, just above the clew is a plastic block sewn on the edge with a small curled up rope attached to it. Cannot image what this is for. Photos 2a and 2b.

3. On the trailing edge near the first batten are two small plastic blocks sewn into the edge with a small rope connecting them. Again, no clue! Photo 3.

Anyone know about these things? Thanks!

Attachments

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Photos 2A and 2B are a leech line. This line should be tightened just until the leech stops fluttering, no more.

No clue about the other two. You may want to talk to a North Sails rep to get the definitive answers

Cheers

Matt

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
On the trailing edge near the first batten are two small plastic blocks sewn into the edge with a small rope connecting them. Again, no clue! Photo 3.
As Matt indicated, leech line access for use when first reef is on.
The line sewn to your tack could be for a cunningham. Perhaps a small block could be attached, offering the possibility of a 2:1 system, once the necessary hardware is installed.
That's all I've got.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
1) That is your luff bolt rope, which supports the sail when the halyard is tight.

Over time/use they shrink (but not as mush as they used to), a sailmaker or you can open the stitching and ease more in and restitch. The extra seems way long, you could probably cut half of that off.

3) yes your leech line, exposed there so you can adjust with a reef in.

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
Thanks for all the ideas folks, I think these were not part of the original H170 sail as there is no hardware on the mast or boom to make use of them.

I am thinking I'll mount a jam cleat on the mast just below the boom for the luff rope (actually a Cunningham I think as was suggested, this sail does not have a luff rope) - always wanted a way to tighten up the lower part of the luff when the halyard just can't be made tight enough especially while under way.

With this new sail we have not noticed any flutter on the leech, but now I know what to do if it does.