Puzzle it out, Time is of the Essence

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
20191018_210536.jpg

These little sailboats are very basic, no electronics, no time pieces, just hull, sail and tiller. All four boats sail equally well and on a beam reach, it takes 4 hours exactly to sail from the can on the East end of the island to the nun on the West of the island. The problem is, they are looking for the treasure that was hidden on the island. The treasure was buried just one hour's sail West from the can where the dread wearing pirate Woberts landed on the beach and marched south to the midpoint of the island.
Dispite the consistent completion time. The speed was not consistent. Though always reliable, they went faster in some spots and slower in other spots. The faster winds and slower winds were also very reliable, but you could never tell what your instantaneous speed was, only the overall time and distance between buoys.
How did they manage, using their four little sailboats, to measure a one hour sail in boat 4 without a clock?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I first came across this problem, or nearly the same, as three fuses that, while burning at varying rates, burned for exactly 1 hour each. The goal was to measure an hour and 45 minutes.
I gave the problem, straight off the website, to my high school industrial arts class. They gave up after 3 days of contemplation. When I told them I had figured it out, they suggested that I thought too much.

So how would you measure out 7 hours?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Three boats set off same time ( one west hoves to). When the boats meet the last boat sets off - when it meets the east boat - it’s gone exactly 1 hr
Assuming that the boats had some method of signaling each other for start times this would really only require three boats.

Apr 19, 2012
I first came across this problem, or nearly the same, as three fuses that, while burning at varying rates, burned for exactly 1 hour each. The goal was to measure an hour and 45 minutes.
I gave the problem, straight off the website, to my high school industrial arts class. They gave up after 3 days of contemplation. When I told them I had figured it out, they suggested that I thought too much.

So how would you measure out 7 hours?

-Will (Dragonfly)
Cut one fuse in half and another in quarters. Attach one whole fuse, one hanf, and one quarter end to end. Total is 1-3/4 hours.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The idea is that you don't know the burn is steady, so physical half is unreliable for measuring the time. Only the overall time is knowable.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
high school industrial arts class. They gave up after 3 days of contemplation.
Truly frightening.
I don't "do" puzzles or games or play cards, but admire folks who do.
But an entire industrial arts class???
I took an elective course senior year in engineering college: urban design. All the other students in the class were architects Field trip to Pittsburgh in 1967. Half of 'em refused to go: too unsafe! Urban design class...what geniuses! Arrgghh :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Boat 2 was the winner!
The Captain had a case of cold beer. Drinking one beer every 10 minutes, 1 hour was easy, as he needed to hit the head [ not on boat].
Since he had to go ashore for relief and dispose of the empty beer cans, he found the Treasure.

Arrgggg....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
James,
I believe that's the legend of how the Dread Wearing Pirate Woberts found the spot to bury his treasure. :)
When they did find out again, there were six empty vintage beer bottles.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 19, 2012
The idea is that you don't know the burn is steady, so physical half is unreliable for measuring the time. Only the overall time is knowable.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Quite an important detail to leave out. :O Now it's going to take a bit more thinking.