Putting in a new wind instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I have a new wind instrument and cable to install. I've several options, paying the yard to do it @ $75/hr (probably at least 2 hours) or do it myself. If I do it myself I will need to buy/get/borrow a bosun chair or harness and have a helper hoist me. The old wire could be used as a cable pull for the new. I don't know yet if the old wire has a connection in the mast or continues directly to the bilge. My 1990 C30 has internal halyards so there is some limited access at the base now by removing the sheaves. I did remove one and try to look up there but as I said it is very limited. (It is a great place for wasps to hangout though). I thought about adding an access a little higher up? Anyone do this?
Another thought is to have an access at the top of the compression post and add a T into the conduit for to provide connections. But the problem would still exist of getting the cable from the mast conduit to the deck conduit.
Your thoughts?
Doug

Mar 11, 2010
Catalina Tall Rig/ Fin Keel Deale, MD
If you pull the mast base sheaves out, do you see any wires exiting the mast conduit and going down into the boat? Someone at the top of the mast, pulling on the correct cable could identify it to a second person who could hook it with some kind of "fishing" wire. Bring the new cable up on deck with a "Cable Clam" http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|328|49758|112306|316467&id=1351847. Drilling a hole to enter the mast base, connect it to the existing cable in order to pull it up the mast conduit. I will tell you that the mast conduit on our boat is only 3/4" PVC and it is very stuffed. Good Luck. I believe Old Skool Neil hid his mast wiring behind some teak corner molding going up inside the head, rather than opening up the compression post. You could run the new cable inside the mast but outside the conduit (like your yard will probably do), just be sure to run and leave a future pull string for when it fails. You would drill an exit hole up at the top of the mast to bypass the masthead sheaves area and route the cable to the wind sensor. Use good practice to avoid chafing, wrap the cable with amalgamating tape at the holes, etc.

I did our mast rewiring when our mast was down for the bilge ply repair work. Maybe consider getting quote from the yard to pull your mast? Warning on that strategy: The crane wasn't the expensive part, it was my decision to replace the standing rigging, all mast wiring, nav. light fixtures and sheaves. I'd also recommend making a flat aluminum plate to cover the masthead opening. Perfect for mounting gear and keeping most rain/bird poop out. And working at this project on sawhorses is much easier than from a bosuns chair. :D

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Rb-that's what I'm afraid of if I drop the mast. Replacing everything. :(
I'm trying to do this on the cheap.
All good advice, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.