Put it in a slip, or keep it on the trailer?

Jul 24, 2022
Catalina 22 #6127 Dallas, TX
Just looking for some opinions on whether to keep my C22 in a slip, or keep it on the trailer. I don't have a vehicle that will tow it, for one thing... So if I kept it on the trailer it would be fun to be able to go around to different lakes, but I would have to buy a truck or some such.

Keeping it in a slip would be awfully convenient (its only 20 minutes from my home), but kinda costly at $290 a month.

What do you guys do? Is it dumb to put a C22 in a slip?

I'm leaning toward the slip.............

Feb 28, 2022
Catalina 22 12482 Champaign-Urbana, IL
Slip. 150% a slip. Every time. You will double or triple your time on the water. Think “barriers to entry”. A slip means ZERO barriers to entry. You can even solo sail with ease. If you can afford it and it is available, get the slip. If you want to go to another lake, you always can. But on the shore, you can’t go sailing in literally 20 minutes any day you want.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
keep my C22 in a slip, or keep it on the trailer. I don't have a vehicle that will tow it,
the main reasons for having a trailerable sailboat are: tow it to different places, service it at home, and avoid slip fees

I don't see the point of owning a trailerable sailboat, with all the limitations that entails, if you aren't going to actually use the main reasons for having a trailerable sailboat.

We owned a C22 with the goal of towing it places. We put it in a slip so we could easily go sailing, without dealing with rigging every time. We expected to tow it places the rest of the time.

After 4 years of never towing it anywhere other than from storage to the marina... we bought a 30ft sailboat instead. The combined cost of the increased slip fees, crane fees and winter storage fees, were cheaper than annual costs for the pickup truck.

Now we don't need to fuel the truck, maintain the truck, insure the truck, store the truck....
Guess what ? We are selling the truck which will more than cover the cost of the bigger boat and refit.. and save us money every year.

We can stand up in the boat. The bed is always ready to sleep in, we can easily host guests. We can work remotely from the boat. We have an espresso maker, 30 gallons of potable water, an oven to bake pizzas, refrigeration and forced air diesel heating.

The Catalina 22 is a great boat, but
In hindsight, we should have bought a bigger boat in the first place. It would have ended up costing less. The cost of the Catalina 22 + refit - selling price = $5500 loss on the boat alone. Add pickup truck related costs... Ugh.

Summary: either get a truck so you can benefit from the sailboat being trailerable... And then either:
  • tow it
  • -tow and also use a slip.
If you aren't towing it, get a bigger boat. The cost of a truck should more than cover it.

Your mileage at vary. I always suggest that "You do you". All depends on wants, needs, expenses, location etc.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
In the slip you will sail more, easy choice. Can always pull for the odd road trip anyway. Just keep the trailer handy, in florida is vital in case of hurricane so can move boat away if needed from slip.

Jul 24, 2022
Catalina 22 #6127 Dallas, TX
Thanks a bunch for your thoughts Everyone. I think I'm going to go with the slip. Don't really feel like buying a truck at this point in time LOL

I love the idea of scooting over to the marina and hopping right onto the boat.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Sorry, that looks grumpier than I meant for it to. JMHO, YMMV. :)
That's the thing really... Each of us has our preferences, which are tweaked by many factors... And can change due to various factors.

Why not have a truck AND a slip ?
The C22 doesn't really need a big truck.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Why not have a truck AND a slip ?
I'd soon grow sick and tired of sailing the same few square miles, over and over and over again. I want to sail to NEW places, different places, remote places where no one else goes, places I haven't seen in years, places with the best weather forecast!

I also don't want to have to go hook up the trailer, drive it to where the boat is slipped, pull the boat out of the water, de-rig everything, drive it all home, and THEN start getting the (almost certainly dirty, neglected-looking) boat ready to go do some actual sailing. And then have to face doing the same exact (opposite) ritual when I get HOME from sailing, worn out as a 30 year old pair of sneakers.

Nah, man. @brockangelo can have my slip. He called dibs fair and square. :biggrin:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
places with the best weather forecast!
That is a factori have never considered :beer:

Your thinking is why I got a truck and a trailerable. Alas the truck and trailer weren't getting much use. :banghead:
The slip was to be an interim measure.
A way.to easily go sailing while we got the boat fixed up.

In this case a 20 minute trip to the boat :thumbup:

The slip added the club factor. Not a.foo foo yacht club but a bunch of good sailing types.

Edit: the Admiral says that a slip would be good for a while, then, next year, use the slip fees to get a tow vehicle and transition to trailer mode.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022
Yep. Gene is right. He lives in Florida.
I’m also right. I live in Illinois and the closest lake is 35 minutes. So keeping it at the slip works out best. We took an 8 hour drive to Lake Erie for a week at the end of June. I kept it on the trailer for a month in storage a mile away for one month while I made updates. Now it is back in the slip.
There’s no one right answer, just explore all the options to make sure you’re maximizing your time on the water.

that’s one thing we all agree on :beer:

Feb 28, 2022
Oh yikes! That’s a lot of trailer time. Does that get you on the ocean or gulf though?

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
You can tow a C22 with a SUV easy. Boat plus trailer is under 3,500 lbs.

None the less, a slip is the way to go if you want to have easy access, plus you can hang out on the boat even if the weather isn't conducive to sailing. (Although I have been known to hang out on my boat even when it's on the trailer. )

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
It's definitely a no right answer sort of question. Mine sits on the trailer in my back yard in the off-season, which makes working on it easier, and on a mooring about 10 miles from my house during sailing season. It's still not perfect, I believe I'd sail more if I just had to drive to the slip and hop-on instead of having to also row out to the boat. But, I'd sail a lot less if I had to drag the boat to the launch every time.

In hind-sight, I guess since I only tow it twice a year a larger boat would have been nice. But it's what I have, and a day sailing it is way better than a day at work.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Oh yikes! That’s a lot of trailer time. Does that get you on the ocean or gulf though?
Yep. An hour gets us to a couple different saltwater launches, each just about equidistant, plus a couple freshwater destinations. So it's an hour to just about anywhere "local".

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
Obviously, this topic is dependent on whatever your personal situation may be and there's really no right answer. For me...a slip is it. We sail on the same lake with no desire to trailer to other lakes. Had it on a trailer for a while but the amount of time to rig/de-rig made it a no brainer to acquire a $120/mth slip at the local marina. After a 20 minute drive to the marina...we're on the water within 10 minutes versus up to 45 minutes after arrival if, and I mean if, there's no traffic at the boat launch.

Fair Winds....:)
~~ _/) ~~~
Zinger

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Obviously, this topic is dependent on whatever your personal situation may be and there's really no right answer. For me...a slip is it. We sail on the same lake with no desire to trailer to other lakes. Had it on a trailer for a while but the amount of time to rig/de-rig made it a no brainer to acquire a $120/mth slip at the local marina. After a 20 minute drive to the marina...we're on the water within 10 minutes versus up to 45 minutes after arrival if, and I mean if, there's no traffic at the boat launch.

Fair Winds....:)
~~ _/) ~~~
Zinger
Some marinas may have dry storage with rig up: dunk it in the water, and away you go in 15min instead of the 10. Cheaper than a slip and for those concerned with their (boat) bottoms, a way to mitigate having to apply anti-fouling.