Pushpit Rail Mounted VHF Antenna Suggestions

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
In the bay I just use my handheld VHF. I contemplating one or two trips going outside instead of the ICW, before the end of Oct.
I'm not sure if my nav to mast head antenna coax is good so I'm considering a pushpit mounted antenna with a fixed mount VHF radio with AIS and helm remote mic.

Any suggestions for pushpit mounted antenna that I can split for VHF and AIS?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Find someone with an swr meter and test the current config? I would assume most yards could do this. Or a local ham radio guy. Contact some local ham clubs.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I had the local rigger swap out my coax cable, dockside, for a nominal fee. As Mark mentioned, an swr meter will indicate if there’s a problem with your present antenna & cable. Might only be a bad cable connector.....I purchased an inexpensive swr meter from amazon or eBay to test mine: they are simple to use. If you spend $$ for a push pit antenna & coax, you’re not going to get near the range of a mast mounted antenna. VHF signals are “line of sight” :therefore, you’re going to severely limit your transmitting range because of difference in antenna height.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
In the bay I just use my handheld VHF. I contemplating one or two trips going outside instead of the ICW, before the end of Oct.
I'm not sure if my nav to mast head antenna coax is good so I'm considering a pushpit mounted antenna with a fixed mount VHF radio with AIS and helm remote mic.

Any suggestions for pushpit mounted antenna that I can split for VHF and AIS?
Standard 8ft antenna with a deckmount bracket.... the antenna comes with 15 ft cable... just route it to your splitter... good to go. I have used this set up for years... will install mast mount in the future... but I've been saying that for 20 years. I regularly receive CG broadcasts from as far as 100 miles away... since their antennae are on towers...or tall buildings...or mountain tops.

Ward, if you're just going to get a vhf/ais radio(ais receiver only) you won't need anything else, unless you want to split for fm radio, and simple fm splitter is pretty cheap. If you decide to go with an AIS transponder... which will be separate piece of gear... you'll need a splitter, $200 or more... although there are some transponders than have built in splitters. If you go that way... the ais splitter will also have an fm socket.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Ward, there is very little advantage to using a pushpin mounted antenna vs a handheld. VHF transmission is line of sight, antenna height is the key factor, a pushpit mounted antenna will be not be significantly higher than a handheld's antenna if you are standing up in the cockpit. There will be a slight advantage to the increased power, mostly that will affect the ability of the radio to push through any noise, but not increase distance.

The USCG's Rescue 21 system is designed to receive a 1 watt transmission from 20 miles off shore with the antenna at sea level. They should be able to hear you if you are in trouble.

As others have said, check the standing wave ratio, that measures the antenna and radio's efficiency.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Anything is better than the standard ‘rubber duck’ stub antenna supplied with handhelds. You will notice a difference by substituting a real antenna regardless of height.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Three issues with radio propagation, one is line of sight distance and the second is power. The handheld is likely 5W of power the pushpit is 25W from a fixed mount VHF. More power is better. The second issue is line of sight. This is related to the square root of the heights of the transmitter and the receiver. Taller is better. The coast guard has really tall antennas big ships have tall antennas and other pleasure craft not so much. If you want to be heard by everyone tall is important. Third item is antenna gain, as noted a rubber duck on a handheld doesn't have a lot of gain a normal VHF antenna is better at picking up small signals and more efficient at launching your VHF transmission.

Shakespeare makes a rail mount "emergency VHF antenna" that should do the trick and it will be better than the handheld, but not as good as the mast mount (assuming good cables)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
My goal is to:
Have more than one radio on board. Handheld and preferably fixed mount.
Have a fixed mount with 25w of power. (5x handheld)
Have AIS displayed on Axiom CP.
Have more range than the handheld. I'm planning on coastal sailing, maybe 10 miles out max?

Right now I'm looking at the the SH GX6000 for it's AIS and NMEA2000 capabilities.

My issues with the current coax from the mast base to nav table is it is RG 8U. I cannot find PL259 connectors for the cable. The nav table end was tucked way down out of the way, not sure it was ever connected.
There was a rail mounted Shakespear Antenna that was connected to an old radio with bad mic. That antenna was fiberglass and disintegrating. I took it off and scrapped it as soon as I bought the boat and had a handful of splinters.

Going to Annapolis Friday and hopefully can find deals on what I want.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
My goal is to:
Have more than one radio on board. Handheld and preferably fixed mount.
Have a fixed mount with 25w of power. (5x handheld)
Have AIS displayed on Axiom CP.
Have more range than the handheld. I'm planning on coastal sailing, maybe 10 miles out max?

Right now I'm looking at the the SH GX6000 for it's AIS and NMEA2000 capabilities.

My issues with the current coax from the mast base to nav table is it is RG 8U. I cannot find PL259 connectors for the cable. The nav table end was tucked way down out of the way, not sure it was ever connected.
There was a rail mounted Shakespear Antenna that was connected to an old radio with bad mic. That antenna was fiberglass and disintegrating. I took it off and scrapped it as soon as I bought the boat and had a handful of splinters.

Going to Annapolis Friday and hopefully can find deals on what I want.
PL259s for RG8 are ubiquitous- I don’t understand why you cannot find them. The trick is to use good ones, not the knock-off junk likely to be found at a boat show.

Parenthetically, five times the power equates to a 3dB increase in signal strength- effectively indiscernible difference. You are better serves by increasing height than any other option.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
After I wrote my last post I decided I was at the boat already, winds were stronger than I wanted to handle solo so why not see if I could get to the coax connection at the mast base via the halyard exit blocks opening.
This worked. I pulled the connectors out of the mast and found I could pull up slack coax from the bilge so off to the parts store I went.
I ran new RG 8X coax and installed new connectors at each end.

Great! No longer need a pushpit mounted antenna.

Hooked up a used Icom radio someone gave me to try out. No go. I can transmit and receive to my neighboring boat but cannot receive weather or get an automated radio check. I can do both on my handheld.

Luckily I have a SWR meter coming tomorrow. Hopefully that will tell me if the masthead antenna and coax are good. I ran new coax and installed a new antenna while the mast was down two years ago.

I'll go from there.

Thanks all!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Ward, the swr meter should give you the necessary info to analyze your rig. If you just replaced the antenna and cable two years ago, it’s not likely that is the source of the problem. On the other hand, cable connectors can be problematic, especially the crimp type. Amphenol soldered connectors are the standard for Ham operators. You need a high wattage soldering iron to solder them properly. There are several good videos on you tube showing how to make up the connectors. With the swr meter and the new radio that you intend to purchase, you should be able to troubleshoot the source(s) of your problem. Keep us posted.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You can also use an ohmmeter at the radio end. Use the lowest scale and measure between center pin and outer shell. If you read “0”, then most likely a connector is shorted. If you measure a few ohms, things are looking good. Since you can converse next door and not further, I’m suspecting a bad connector install...They reason for a few ohms is up the coax and through the antenna windings and back down the coax. Assuming the antenna has a loading coil at it’s base.
Don, 3dB is five times power? Last I heard, it’s half or double. Power being the key word...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
37dBm, not 7dBm.

0dBW = 30dBmW = 1 Watt ∴ 7dBW = 37dBmW = 5 Watts

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
You can also use an ohmmeter at the radio end. Use the lowest scale and measure between center pin and outer shell. If you read “0”, then most likely a connector is shorted. If you measure a few ohms, things are looking good.
Thanks Mark. This test showed .3 ohms. This gives me hope the SWR will show good and it is just the used radio I was given.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
One more time...

0 dBW = 1 watt of power
30 dBmW = 1 watt of power

7 dbW = 5 watts of power
37 dBmW = 5 watts of power

7 dBW = 5 watts of power
7 dBmW = .005 watts of power

Last edited:
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Not to confuse the previous discussions on power, the following has nothing to do with bad connections or bad cables:
Most VHF radios have a selector for "High Power" and "Low Power" built in.
Since I don't know the model radio you were using for your test, I can't tell you how to switch the setting. If it's set on "Low", you could talk to your dock mate but not a distant station. Just sayin'...

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
One more time...

0 dBW = 1 watt of power
30 dBmW = 1 watt of power

7 dbW = 5 watts of power
37 dBmW = 5 watts of power

7 dBW = 5 watts of power
7 dBmW = .005 watts of power
What are you trying to express?

I see a 5X increase in power is a 7db increase, am I wrong

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Most VHF radios have a selector for "High Power" and "Low Power" built in.
Yep, it took awhile to figure out how to switch to High Power but I did.

Strange that on Ch 9 I could sometimes transmit to my handheld. PTT button seems intermittent. On Ch 27 TX came on but it never transmitted voice.

Will be spending time with radio venders on Friday in Annapolis.