Push button switch for starter

May 28, 2022
Hunter 28 Ventura
I push the starting button in - nothing, then I push it in several times quickly eng starts. 1991 Hunter probably the switch should be replaced? Best place to order one?

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
These push-start buttons rarely fail. If not done already, you could start by cleaning the contacts to see if it takes care of the problem. If you have a Yanmar engine I suspect you're suffering from a common problem of the starting wire going to the solenoid being too small. Well documented here with different solutions, the 2 easiest being the replacement of the wire with a heavier gauge one or the installation of a relay on the solenoid. Good luck

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Yup. Had that problem. The fix was to install a starter relay. Haven't had a problem since.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The starter button on my Yanmar 2GM20F seems a bit worn out…I have to press it on one side usually to get it to work. I always get it to start, but I have purchased a new one to install when I do my engine control panel project.

As others have said, wiring issues may be the more normal reason the button doesn’t work.

Greg

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I agree with all who said “clean” the contacts. Mine were so bad (as Greg stated) I had to really press on the button to get it to work. I had to replace the starter button as a result of pressing to hard. It just failed.
One word of caution though, take photos of all the wires attached and there placement. If not you will blow the fuse near the engine when you think a wire goes where it shouldn’t.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
The rubber weather proof cover is subject to failure.. Both from dry rot and usage cracks that are not very visible.. Options abound..I went to a Caterpillar dealer and bought my replacement... Think about it, an open dozer's starter switch deeps to be robust... Never a bit of problems.. After replacement the old button was dissected.. lots of corrosion !

Sep 26, 2008
I did the same with mine old starter button. Inside was more corroded than I would have ever believed.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Might be a good idea to have redundant starter buttons - maybe one (in parallel) down below, out of the weather, just in case....

Sep 26, 2008
It‘s off the subject but jviss is on track with a second button. I did just that on my 1972 Chevy Vega with its aluminum engine. That car would heat up so much it would just stop. I installed a second spring loaded toggle switch in the truck to by pass the overheated key. That car got so hot I never had to put the heat on.
Anyway, the redundant button is an option.
Spray the connections with a Dielectric Grease to help ward off corrosion.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ahhh the fresh marine air. Breath in. A good deep breath.
If it can do that corrosion stuff to your metal switches hidden behind a water resistant panel, do you ever wonder what is doing to your lungs.

I have been giving my exposed metal parts a spray of Corrosion Block as I work on various parts. They seem to have a longer shelf life now. It has worked wonders on my exposed 365 days key locks on the boat. Now going on 3 years with an inexpensive master key lock on the lazerett. Still working like new.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
For Yanmar 2GM20F engine. Don't forget to check & clean the wire connection at the Solenoid side. Mine had the small screw, that secure the wire lug to solenoid loosen. This connection has a rubber boot and is hidden by thick cable & alternator hence not easily seen.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Just too many things to add a little resistance here and a little more over there. I achieved a few minor victories but after the last failure a few years ago, I took the easy way out and went with:

1656653690715.jpeg

1656653919030.png

1656654036112.jpeg

• Helpful
Apr 10, 2023
Hunter 37c Port of Madison
"I took the easy way out and went with:"

Hi Ralph. I am currently working through the wiring on my 2qm20. I'm finding several 'extra wires' and just poor wiring connections all throughout my harness. Looking at the yanmar wiring diagram seems pretty simple and straightforward, however in my hands the harness is a mess, only some of the color wire matches and the fuse block on the motor had a screwdriver bit in it when I found it.
Sooooo, I'm pretty close to just rewiring the whole thing with new wire to the diagram but also thinking I should add this relay. Is that what you did or did you just add the relay to boost the current to the starter? I'm getting current to my keyswitch but then not after it, ordering a replacement now, also replacing the push start button.
I think I found the relay you are using, is this it?

Jan 4, 2006
I think I found the relay you are using, is this it?

Ah, so near yet so far. That relay has a 24V coil which requires 24 volts to close its contacts.

1719257181046.png

You only have 12V from your batteries so, no cigar. You need a relay with a 12V coil. This is what I have for something like $45.00. A little more solid in construction.

1719257506683.jpeg

I'm getting current to my keyswitch but then not after it, ordering a replacement now, also replacing the push start button.

Be sure you are getting good quality keyswitch and push button as they are mounted outside close to the elements. Another biggy with me, particularly for outside is to coat the exterior electrical contacts with NON-PETROLEUM grease before assembly to eliminate corrosion.

Attachments

Apr 10, 2023
Great! Thank you for your quick reply, I have all the parts up on my PC right now. I noticed after I posted the 24v part, thank you for the link to the proper part. You are a champion!

Apr 10, 2023
If she can't appreciate your solid wire management, I don't know what to tell ya!

I see your 25amp fuse between the relay and the alternator. is that a blade fuse? do you still have a fuse block on your engine? I'm not exactly sure where in the chain of positive lines it should be, or if it's even the right thing.

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
I see your 25amp fuse between the relay and the alternator. is that a blade fuse?
Just a glass fuse with a fast blow.

This 25A fuse is the only fuse in the line which takes its power leading from the battery, along the line which supplies the battery from the alternator and up to the 65A relay. Why there is no 50A fuse near the battery to protect the line leading to the alternator is still an unknown after 25 years.

1719266923310.png

My only defense is that this area is kept clean for observation and minimum risk of a short in this area. Yes, I know I should install a 50A fuse but there's so much maint. to be done before this.

Last edited: