PUSH BUTTON ON 31' 85

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BILL SHAKUN

CAN THE PUSH BUTTON THAT STARTS THE ENGINE BE REMOVED VIA THE FRONT BY TURNING THE OUTSIDE PLASTIC HOUSING. THIS IS A "B" TYPE ENGINE PANEL

J

Jay Hill

Mine Can't

..but it is easily removed by removing the four screws securing the panel to the lazarette. You can then remove the backing nut from the starter switch/button and push it through the panel. Just in case: Don't forget to be careful with the leads, especially if you have to leave the boat without a switch/button installed. If touching and the key is on (by accident?), the leads will cause the starter to run continuously.

P

Paul Akers

If it's notched

If it's the notched collar, then you should be able to remove it by twisting it counter-clockwise. But the ignition will fall back into the housing. Remove the whole panel first (four corner screws) and then the collar. It'll be easier to work on.

S

Sam Lust

Yanmar Panel

Do NOT remove the engine control panel unless you are willing to replace it. (Cost: $24.00 just for the plastic panel). The bedding compound used will likely cause the panel to crack. To remove the starter push-button: Unplug the two harness connectors (for safety) either at the panel itself or at the engine. Pop one "banana" connector and one screw terminal. Unsrew the retaining ring at the front of the panel and catch the switch as you push it out the back.

T

Tim Op't Holt

Ignition button replacement

The engine kill cable on my boat froze-up. In the process of trying to get it un-stuck, the panel fractured. The Yanmar dealer was happy to supply a replacement that was not expensive. So I removed the old panel and part-by-part installed all the panel indicators and a new cable, which was not difficult. A major improvement was the addition of the gasket behind the panel, and it looks beter than the old one, which had chipped. I did have one problem in that the screw holes for the panel were stripped, so I used larger screws. The short answer for the question posed is no, you must remove the panel to get to the ignition switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.