Purchasing S2 6.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2012
S2 7.0 Christmas MI Lake Superior
There is a 6.8 S2 for sale http://sheboygan.craigslist.org/boa/3274991540.html

I have little to zero knowledge of S2's and your help is greatly appreciated. I would be daysailing in bays on Lake Superior and am looking for a trailer sailor. The price seems a littel high for not having an engine. I have read they are a little tender. Great looking boats and Thanks for your help.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I used to own on S2 8.5 & they're well built boats. The problem is that the maufacture Tiara Yachts stop building sailboats 20 years ago & replacement parts are scarce, really non-existant for custom items. So unless your handy at making items that may wear out, consider this when purchasing. Boats like Catalina & Hunter have parts everywhere & still support their boats. Check out the Catalina website. Their support & knowledge base is unmatched. My 2 cents.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Typically, for an older sailboat, most of the value in a case like this is in the trailer, the motor and the sails. This kind of looks like someone bought it, cleaned it up and is trying to flip it at maximum value. New sails for this boat would run about $1500-2000. If they are in excellent shape they should be very stiff to the point where they can be difficult to fold. It can be very difficult to find a boat with a trailer and the net is full of those who bought a boat and are in search of a trailer. A new trailer is about $4000 for a boat this size and used wouldn't fit without mods and might run you $2000-2500 by the time you are done. However, a used outboard (hopefully it at least comes with controls) is about $600-800.

Tsam

Jun 28, 2011
S2 6.8 Long Lake, MN
I looked at that same boat last year and passed because the soft deck you refer to is in very bad shape and will require extensive/expensive work to repair. Curent owner never sailed the boat - definately a flipping situation. I purchased another S2 6.8 after seeing that one. I owned the same model boat 35 years ago so I knew what to expect.

Sep 14, 2012
S2 7.0 Christmas MI Lake Superior
When I spoke to the seller, the guys mom, she told me about the soft spot. That was a deal breaker for sure. I have now found a S2 7.0, not as shiny but solid as a rock. If the Admiral approves I will purchase. It has a trailer, albeit a little rough and Evinrude motor and dingie. I will keep you posted on this one.

Sep 7, 2011
Yuletide said:
When I spoke to the seller, the guys mom, she told me about the soft spot. That was a deal breaker for sure. I have now found a S2 7.0, not as shiny but solid as a rock. If the Admiral approves I will purchase. It has a trailer, albeit a little rough and Evinrude motor and dingie. I will keep you posted on this one.
Hi,

My S2 6.8 is one last hulls to be made. It has had a substantial refitting after being raced on Lake Erie by the original owner. I still have several hank-on raceing sails but I added a continuous line furler and a furling genoa. It comes equipped with a new and never used pump out porta potti, a chart plotter and linked VHF. Solar pannel and a charge controller as well as a Bimini top. I reinforced the transom and added a 4 stroke heavy duty bracket with 9.9 Yamaha high torque with a 12 amp charging system and a huge 12 inch prop.

Since my interests have changed into sailplanes I am contemplating selling the whole package for $6500. The deck is solid.

This boat made several lake Erie and ocean trips including a voyage from Key West to Dry Tortugas. Search for marcinzeglarz on YouTube.

Contact me if you would like more info.

Thanks,

Marcin

Status
Not open for further replies.