Purchase questions 38

ldd

Sep 24, 2024
hunter 38 daytona
I am interested in a 38. It has some issues that I am sure have been addressed?.
1. The headliner looks like it is on its last legs. how does it get replaced?
2. their is a leak at one of the Bose speakers. I assume it's from a window? What is the proper fix for that?.
3. in the aft cabin leak from steering access fix?.
4. the rear of the engine is filthy. Is this common or telling me their is an issue?.
5. someone forgot to flush toilet and boat stinks. Hoping that can be unsmelled?.
TIA for any help.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
5). It's likely that someone didn't "Forget" to flush the toilet. They didn't want to pay for a pump out. That act alone indicates a level of care about the boat that would be unacceptable to me. My wife and I were shown a 33 ish Hunter in RI which had the same thing. The salesman said this or that but we weren't interested from the get go. Not at any price. Getting rid of pooh stink isn't that easy. You could be looking at replacing all the waste hoses and even then the stink gets in the cushions and fabric. It sounds severe but I would pass based on the rule to never buy a dirty boat. Double that for a stinky boat. There are always other boats.

ldd

Sep 24, 2024
hunter 38 daytona
thanks Shemandr,
it was pee. Notified selling broker. We did not want to be accused.
the rest of the boats interior looked very good. Clean and taken care of. Maybe someone showed the boat and that's how it happened. Thanks for the advise. I certainly will not buy a stinker boat.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
2. their is a leak at one of the Bose speakers. I assume it's from a window? What is the proper fix for that?.
You'll have to supply a photo for us to diagnose that one.

4. the rear of the engine is filthy. Is this common or telling me their is an issue?.
Absolutely not. We will need a description (soot, belt dust, rust) of the filth before we can say anything with certainty. Exterior filth is an indicator that the inside of the engine is probably not good, not good at all.

5. someone forgot to flush toilet and boat stinks. Hoping that can be unsmelled?.
As per @shemandr . If the boat stinks, the upholstery has GOT to stink. Put your nose up to a sewage hose. STINK ?

I would be EXTREMELY cautious about this boat. What you have mentioned is not the end of the negotiations, but it indicates this boat has been neglected ........... badly.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I am interested in a 38. It has some issues that I am sure have been addressed?.
TIA for any help.
What year? I thought the Hunter 38 was fairly new.

Greg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If you really like the boat and a survey is satisfactory, renegotiate the price to include cleaning, sanitizing, & replacement of waste systems hoses. Remove cushions & mattresses from boat immediately. Wash cushions in a kiddy pool & allow to dry in sun for several days. Empty holding tank & sanitize, followed by replacement of hoses. I went through same process after purchasing & there was no residual odor at conclusion.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I would also have a mechanic go through the engine with a fine tooth comb. That's where the money will really add up because I don't think the engine has been looked at since the boat was originally purchased.

ldd

Sep 24, 2024
hunter 38 daytona
Thanks Ralph,
I was thinking probably up to 2 grand for the engine work. That is using the new pricing formula for sailboats.
whatever I think it costs multiply X2!.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
We have a 2008 38 that we purchase new in 2009. She was a dealer demo when we purchased her.

1. The headliner looks like it is on its last legs. how does it get replaced? This is not a small project. I believe The material can be purchased through the SBO store. You will need to loosen everything that is holding the fabric in place (light fixtures, through bolted items, etc.). Where there are seams, those are a type of V channel that pinches and holds the fabric tight. A couple of plastic putty type scrapers can be used to pry this open to pull the fabric out.

in that area there are only fixed dead lights so I suspect you will have to cut the sealant that’s holding the lense in place, scrape it clean and then rebed.

This is going to require detective work. Need to find out if it’s from the pedestal or is it from the steering arm thats located under the removable panel in the cockpit floor. Let’s hope it’s from the latter as pulling the panel from the cockpit floor is a whole lot easier than removing the housing that’s in the ceiling of the aft cabin. There you’ve got a whole lot of headline removal to deal with and again that’s not fun.

4. the rear of the engine is filthy. Is this common or telling me there is an issue?. This is not normal and I’d suspect an issue. My engine looks like the day the day it rolled out of production. OK I do have a reputation of being a bit over the top OCD but no Soot, no oil, and no dirt on the engine.

5. someone forgot to flush toilet and boat stinks. Hoping that can be unsmelled?. Yuck! As other posters have mentioned, the sanitation hoses may need to be replaced. They do have a life span and this boat is really past the life of the hoses. One other thing that is possible. They used fiberglass insulation for the air conditioning ducts and there is a known phenomena with fiberglass batting type material. If it’s over cured in the manufacturing process when heat and humidity occur, a substance called trimethyl amine (TMA) is produced. TMA smells like urine. What is really maddening is that age doesn’t significantly reduce it, every time high heat and humidity occurs more TMA is produced. Ventilation helps a lot.

When our boat was 3 years old we had all the cushions recovered because we hated the dark navy boat cushion look. Yea it was costly and extravagant but we liked the look so much better. So if the smell won’t come out of the cushions, a pile of boat bucks will get you all new ones. It can be done.
TIA for any help.
any other questions let me know

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
TIA for any help.
1. Can you post some photos? Is it plastic or fabric? If it's fabric, I would assume about 5 to 10 BOAT units to replace.
2. 10-15 hrs for a yard to fix, plus a chance that the window breaks on removal. Figure 3-5 BOAT units.

I notice in the photo above the screws are showing. Are all the windows like that? Most Hunters have recessed screws that are only there to hold the glass while the Dow 795 cures. The screws are then filled with more 795 and should not be visible to the naked eye.... it might be they had to use oversized screws during a previous repair. I would plan well financially if other windows look the same, this would be an expensive repair in a yard.

3. Could be anywhere from 1 to 10 BOAT units, depending on the source. Water can travel so it may take some time to identify the source.
4. Nope. Filthy with what? Oil? Rust? Dog hair? Did you get a mechanical (engine) survey?? Shows lack of care .... probably reflected in other areas of the boat you can't see. Actually, we can see some in the photos. Looks like some windows were re-caulked. That doesn't work. Window needs to be removed, surface sanded and prepped and re-bedded. Everything can be fixed and improved. Time + money.
5. Maybe. Or the head backflows into the toilet because there's a problem with the pump. Is it a manual jabsco? If so, it's a $130 fix and 30 minutes of your time. If it's an electric or vacuum head, figure 1-2 BOAT units.

Smells: smells can be removed with an ozone generator. 2-3 hrs should get rid of most of them in soft fabrics. The bed and seat cushion foam is another issue.... sometimes it's best just to replace them to get rid of the smell. They are $100 on amazon.

How are the cushions, beds, dodger, etc....? That's another 15 to 25 BOAT units to replace....

From the photos and description you've provided, I see the telltale signs of someone (previous owner) that is getting out of boating and just doesn't care or doesn't have the time anymore. Start at 40% below asking.

That being said, the H38 is a fantastic boat and great value. Under 40 feet annual maintenance and slip costs are pretty reasonable. Lots of room onboard for long trips. Good storage. Good handling.

Last edited:

ldd

Sep 24, 2024
hunter 38 daytona
Marcham,
another great answer. Thanks!
the interior cushions are Pleathera. The magical combination of plastic and leather.
No offer yet. I am trying to look at this boat with eyes wide open. I do not want to buy and end up upside down. i Agree that the boat has been sitting. Now that I have a better idea of the costs to ring the boat back to acceptable standards. My offer will reflect the necessary work.
i would be afraid if using Ozone. If I remember correctly it deteriorates rubber. I will check though.
assuming I can get this all worked out and buy the boat. What size genoa would you suggest? I would also buy a code "something" to help with the reaching and running. My head is telling me that with the B&R it would be a mandatory addition.
Has anyone added a slide system to the main?. I am an older guy and thinking that or an elect winch to aid with hoisting and dousing. Never had a furling main. Heard about sail shape and stuck main and furling problems.
thanks everyone!.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
i would be afraid if using Ozone. If I remember correctly it deteriorates rubber. I will check though.
assuming I can get this all worked out and buy the boat. OZONE WILL ATTACK RUBBER AND PLASTICS SO BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT. A LIMITED DURATION ONE TIME USE MAY BE OK BUT AVOID REPEATED EXTENDED USED. ALSO OZONE IS A HUMAN HEALTH HAZARD SO THE CABIN MUST BE THOROUGHLY VENTILATED BEFORE YOU ENTER.

What size genoa would you suggest? THE BOAT ORIGINALLY CAME WITH A 110% HEADSAIL. THE THEORY IS LARGE FULL ROACH MAIN WITH A SMALLER HEAD SAIL. THE MAIN IS THR POWER SAIL ON THIS MODEL. AND ITS EASIER FOR WE OLDER FOLKS TO TAC A 110% HEAD SAILE THAN SOME BIG 150.

I would also buy a code "something" to help with the reaching and running. My head is telling me that with the B&R it would be a mandatory addition.

A NICE ADDITION FOR DOWNWIND SAILING, BUT NOT A MUST. WE HAVE HAD OUR 38 SINCE 2009 AND NEVER HAD ONE AND SAILED JUST FINE.

Has anyone added a slide system to the main?. I am an older guy and thinking that or an elect winch to aid with hoisting and dousing. Never had a furling main. Heard about sail shape and stuck main and furling problems. SLIDE NOT NECESSARY. THE FURLING MAIN IS ABSOLUTELY FINE AND REEFS PERFECTLY EASILY. FOR AND OLDER GUY, I LOVE THE ABILITY TO ROLL THE SAIL IN AND OUT AS NEEDED. IN FACT I FINE I ACTUALLY ADJUST (REEF) MORE BECAUSE ITS SO EASY TO ROLL IT IN AND OUT. THERE ARE A COUPLE OF KEY FACTORS TO MAKR SURE IT WORKS PROPERLY. FIRST MAKE SURE THE SAILS ARE NOT ALL BAGGED AND STRETCHED OUT. IF THEY ARE THEY MAY NOT ROLL WELL. SECOND MAKE SURE THR HALYARD IS TAUGHT WHEN YOU RAISE RHE SAIL. IF ITS TOO LOOSE IT CAN RESULT IN WRINKLES IN THE SAIL AND WILL CAUSE BINDING WHEN YOU FURL IT. THEN READ UP ON MANY THREADS ON THE FORUM ON PROCEDURE FOR FURLING THE MAIN. THERE IS A LOT OF INFORMATION AVAILABLE.

THAT SAID, OUR MAST ALSO HAS A GROOVE TRACK ON THE MAST SO A SAIL CAN BE FED UP THE TRACK.

thanks everyone!.