Pumping too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
We have a Raritan manual head - PHC I think. Is there a danger in leaving the pumpout nozzle connected to the deck fitting too long? Just wondered if 'sucking' too long can damage the head.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Only can cause a problem IF he tank vent is blocked.

A pumpout pulling against a blocked vent will try to pull in air from any source it can, including the toilet...a strong pumpout can even implode the tank.

But as long as the pump out can continue to pull in plenty of air via the tank vent, it can remain connected to the deck fitting and run all day.

More incentive to maintain that tank vent!

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
I asked because we have a small vent. I make sure it is open enough to allow a thorough pump but if it is partially blocked I'm not sure I could tell and it would put a vacuum on the head. Once, I think I heard a low whistle or whine from the head.

I appreciate the input Peggie.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Keep an ear to the toilet next time you pump out

If you hear any noise that indicates air being pulled through it, your vent isn't allowing enough air into the tank. The two most common places for a vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the connection to the tank--both the tank fitting and that end of the vent line. If your vent thru-hull is one that won't allow you to back flush the vent line with a garden hose, scrape out the thru-hull with a screwdriver blade or whatever works. If you still hear any hissing or whistling in the toilet, remove the vent line from the tank and scrape out that end of the hose and the fitting.

Improving the vent seems like it might be a good winter project this year.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
I've thought the same thing. My plans are to go to a 1" vent w/o one of those senseless little cowl covers. It makes it hard to clear the stupid thing and is great place for those 8 oz. spiders that live around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.