pumping out

raye

Jun 18, 2013
beneteau 38 m dock
silly but important-first time in pumping out you-know what-does the macerator pump have to be turned on when doing this? my switch or wiring is not working but I can jury-rig a temp to run macerator if necessary.
thanks for any info
raye

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Pump Out

If you use a dockside pump out, the macerator does not have to be on. It is used to empty the tank when in legal waters. The through hull valve for the macerator discharge must be open during the operation.

May I suggest a good book? It will really help with head mysteries and avoiding expensive and messy mistakes:

http://shop.hunterowners.com/prod.php?53615/Get Rid of Boat Odors

raye

Jun 18, 2013
beneteau 38 m dock
If you use a dockside pulp out, the macerator does not have to be on. It is used to empty the tank when in legal waters. The through hull valve for the macerator discharge must be open during the operation.

May I suggest a good book? It will really help with head mysteries and avoiding expensive and messy mistakes:

http://shop.hunterowners.com/prod.php?53615/Get Rid of Boat Odors
thanks for info, will check on book--always great to have answers from fellow sailors.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Your System

OK just checking that you know you must have a thruhull just for the macerator
dumping over board and as said out at sea beyond your local waters.
Nick

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Raye,
This West Marine article will give you the basics of how your system works.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...d=11151&page=Heads-Holding-Tanks#.Uulf1bTL-M0

There are some differences from boat to boat but this will get you started.

Your boat should have a "Y" valve that looks like this. The "Y" valve controls whether waste is pumped out via the deck fitting or discharged through the hull. In coastal and inland waters this valve is required to be secured so accidental discharge is impossible.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Maybe

I don't have a Y value just hose out to deck pump out and another hose at bottom to Macerator .
Nick

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
If you use a dockside pump out, the macerator does not have to be on. It is used to empty the tank when in legal waters. The through hull valve for the macerator discharge must be open during the operation.

It depends on the setup. If the macerating pump goes directly to the through hull and there is a separate hose to the deck pumpout then the thru hull for the macerating pump should not be open. That might release effluent into the water. The deck pumpout should work without the macerator through hull valve being open. That's how my set up is.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Oh yea!

It depends on the setup. If the macerating pump goes directly to the through hull and there is a separate hose to the deck pumpout then the thru hull for the macerating pump should not be open. That might release effluent into the water. The deck pumpout should work without the macerator through hull valve being open. That's how my set up is.
Geesh, I didn't notice the ambiguity! Thanks for pointing that out. Of course, I meant the through hull needed to be open when using the macerator to empty the tank. I should have added "and only when it is used to empty the tank". Good catch.

Mar 17, 2014
Hunter 340 Olive branch
I have a through hull for macerater discharge. I cannot find a Y valve I have a hunter 340. I have looked everywhere. Any ideas where it might be, or is it not required. Thanks