Pulling the Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Getting ready to pull the mast for the winter. I doubt if it has been out of the boat since 1981 and this is a first for me with this boat. Questions - Is there anything besides corrosion holding the mast onto the base plate down in the bilge? Obviously the bolt at the mast partners has to come out. I am seeing two large bolts way down there at about 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock. I am assuming they hold the rig in. Interestingly, no wire from the mast to a keel bolt. Should there have been one?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
No wire to keel bolts on mine either. Just one bolt at the keel step on my mast. That 1 and 7 is the same bolt, all the way through. In this terrible picture of the step there a hole top right(1 o'clock) and one just left of the slot(7 o'clock). That slot is meant for the wiring exit but I have my wiring coming out of the mast much higher(above normal water level).

When the crane comes to the mast I have all my shrouds loose and cotter rings out. Soon as there is lifting tension I pop the pins and they lift away. The corrosion is probably bad enough that it will try to lift the boat. If you had swinging room you could try going around the base with a hammer before they lift. There should also be enough room in the wiring slot to spray in some PB Blaster or the like.

Attachments

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Thanks, guys. I actually figured out the bolt all by myself. Wasn't easy to get out though.
Tomorrow I find out if the mast will lift the whole boat. I am more worried about the fill a PO put around the partners. Hopefully it just pulls out.

Status
Not open for further replies.