Pulling prop shaft Hunter 340

ger123

Nov 25, 2016
Hunter 340 Pula
Hi, did someone pulling the prop shaft of a Hunter 340? Have I to remove the rudder too? Have someone a instruction?
I want change the Stern bearing/shaft log and the PSS bellow. Is also a cutless bearing in the Stern bearing/shaft log or only in the strut?

Thank´s ger123

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
We did this last year on our 41, the cutlass bearing is only in the strut. We were able to, using a slide hammer separate the shaft from the coupling and there was enough room to remove the packing gland, install the PSS dripless and bellows without removing the shaft entirely, the cutlass bearing was rather simple to replace (there are plenty of videos out there) with a press made for that job. This was on a 41 I am not certain of how much room you have on your 34, between the trans output flange and the shaft log.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
You're replacing the cutlass bearing and the parts of the PSS.

Are you sure the shaft is in good condition and not worn in those areas?

I mention this because if the shaft needs replacing, it's a simple job to cut the shaft into pieces for easy removal of all parts.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
You're replacing the cutlass bearing and the parts of the PSS.

Are you sure the shaft is in good condition and not worn in those areas?

I mention this because if the shaft needs replacing, it's a simple job to cut the shaft into pieces for easy removal of all parts.
Yes, quick way to get it out...but if the rudder has to be dropped to get a new one in, you want to know this going in !

On my O’Day 322, I was able to remove my cutlass bearing first, to get a little lateral play in the shaft, and pull it out past the rudder. It scrapped the paint on th rudder, but it came out. New shaft was also a tight fit to get past the rudder, through the strut and into the stern tube. Took some muscle and trying to bend the shaft a little to get it started into the stern tube.

But it all fit.

A few videos on removing these shaft,

Getting the old coupling off of the shaft (probably the hardest part):

Getting the shaft out and inspecting it (needed to be replaced):

Putting everything back together (always nice when a job is finished):

Greg

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
I pulled the shaft to replace cutlass and PSS on my H34 by uncoupling then lifting the engine and sliding the shaft forward, it was very simple. I think the 340 has a similar setup and would work well. The thread I posted for that project is here H34 shaft replacement

Sep 5, 2014
Hunter 340 Blackwall NSW Australia
Hi
We replaced the cutlass bearing and PSS on our 340 last month. Yes, you can just get the shaft out and past the rudder. (The marina were ready to lift the engine off its mounts as option two if we couldn't get the shaft past the rudder.)

The prop shaft was corroded in way of the cutlass bearing and shaft seal so we decided to get a new shaft made up. You may find the same. The corrosion was was not obvious until we removed the shaft. Our boat is in salt water in semi-tropical Sydney.
Good luck!