Pulling my new 1982 27' Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2011
Hunter 27 Southport, NC
I just purchased this boat, I do not know how to sail, do not know very much about boats in general. That said, i live 3 hours from where the boat is docked and had someone check/clean the bottom. I am being told that it needs to be pulled out immediately and painted. My question is, is it silly of me to insist on being there when the boat is pulled? I would like to see what it looks like before, during and after the process. How will I know what type of job has been done if the next time I see her she is back in the water? Also, I could really use some recommendations of types of paint, different grades, primers etc... Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
For ten years I was always present for pulling the boat and splashing the boat. Only missed the one where they put her on the truck and took her off the truck. But I only live 90 minutes away and am retired. Being friends with the marina helps, I bought the boat from them. And I do all of my own work so feel it is important to see how they power wash, load it on the cradle, and block the cradle so the boat has the proper slope.

It is hard to recommend bottom paint without knowing what is on it and the condition. I put on a cheap West Marine ablative while in Oriental after a good sanding. It did very well there and for the next two years in Florida.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
You really do need to see it before you decide on anything. What if it is peeling off in big sheets? Have you studied the Interlux site? There you will find details on which paints should not go over other paints. Usually just a good sanding will suffice if you are just in a hurry. Ask around the marina about which paints work best in your sailing area.

If you are as anal as many of us you could take the old paint off and barrier-coat first. I did that by hand with paint scrapers and sandpaper. For ten years I used hard modified-epoxy paints because I liked the hard, smooth bottom. That meant a lot of sanding every spring. And it had to be painted annually. Then in 2008 while on the hard in Oriental I sanded and then switched to an ablative. Recently with the boat back on Lake Erie I had the entire bottom and keel soda blasted down to the barrier-coat. I will continue to use an ablative. After discovering that the $100. WM brand lasted almost three years no longer will I pay $250. a gallon for Petit or Interlux.

P.S. - copper is still the thing that makes bottom-paint work. Seahawk seems like a decent paint: http://www.bottompaintstore.com/blo...micron-csc-by-interlux-vs-cukote-by-sea-hawk/

Status
Not open for further replies.