Pulling my engine. What would you add to the list?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Going to pull the engine this winter, and I have a list of things to do while it's out. The boat was built in 2001 and the engine has unknown hours, but probably under 1,000. (I bought it in '08 with a busted hour meter that read about 400, now it reads about 250 hours more than that).
  • De-rust and paint engine
  • Replace any hoses and belts that show age or wear
  • Replace engine mounts
  • Replace Dripless seal
  • Clean and paint engine compartment
  • Replace nylon thru-hulls (used above waterline, for bilge discharge etc.) located in engine compartment
  • Replace engine compartment acoustic deadening foam
  • Take prop, shaft and coupling to a prop shop to have them faced and tuned
I think my below-water thru-hulls are OK. Any other suggestions?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I hope your engine is easy to pull. Mine sure wasn't..wondering what your plan is for derusting and painting?

Jun 14, 2010
I hope your engine is easy to pull. Mine sure wasn't..wondering what your plan is for derusting and painting?
Yes, in my case the entire cockpit sole opens wide and it's a straight vertical lift. As for de-rusting, there's not much but I've decided to have my marina's shop handle that. I'm going to let them do the engine compartment cleaning and painting also.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
Since you have it out and at home, I'd replace the rear and front crankshaft seals for good measure. The front seal is dead simple on your engine, and the rear is simple once you remove the flywheel. And since you now have the flywheel off, consider replacing the damper plate.

These things do eventually go bad, but can be a PITA replacing in situ. This is a great opportunity.

Mark

Jun 14, 2010
Add a simple hour meter-even in the engine room.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/12v-hour-meter
My original hour meter is built into the tach as an LCD window, and the tach was still good. I replaced it with the same model Volvo Penta (expensive) tach and it failed also, in the second year, also with the tach still working. This seems to be a common issue with this item, so I decided to add a simple mechanical hourmeter alongside and that's been running for years. It seems pretty bulletproof, and certainly more reliable than the LCD type.

Jun 14, 2010
Since you have it out and at home, I'd replace the rear and front crankshaft seals for good measure. The front seal is dead simple on your engine, and the rear is simple once you remove the flywheel. And since you now have the flywheel off, consider replacing the damper plate.

These things do eventually go bad, but can be a PITA replacing in situ. This is a great opportunity.

Mark
Thanks Mark. My engine is a Volvo Penta MD22p. I'm surprised you knew that.

Todd D

Jul 4, 2012
Allied Princess Southwest Harbor
If you have the engine out replace ALL rubber. You should also pull the injectors and have them serviced.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I would consider expanding the servicing to the fuel and muffler systems ... perhaps replace water lift, hoses, clamps, discharge fitting, perhaps replace fuel tank & hoses, vent, etc.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
:plus: for checking ALL the hoses, mufflers, tanks, etc. Not sure of your layout, but getting at my fuel tank, muffler, and hoses would have been nearly impossible with the engine in place, I bit the bullet and did all of it. It was also easier to replace the sound deadening insulation in one piece without the engine being in the way.
Good luck with it.

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
After seeing a picture of it, definitely checkout the heat exchanger. There was a problem of water corrosion at the exhaust elbow. There are blogs of people that rebuilt them.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
This thread gives me a list of similar reasons to replace our '88 23 hp diesel that needs most of this... 'list' of chores.
I have over 2300 hours on the existing engine and almost of the peripherals are original or now in need of replacement or rebuild.
I am eyeing a new Betamarine 25 hp.
By the time I lift and move the present engine and do the work, it's about the same hassle factor to just install a new engine. Lucky me, the new one will fit the beds with minimal change.
It will be an interesting winter project season!
:)