Pulled the trigger

Jun 4, 2004
Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39 Edgewater, MD
Well, I gone and done it now..... I was out and about looking at boats--I've been soft looking for a nice cruiser for the Chesapeake Bay and Eastern US coast and came across this Pearson 39 sitting at the back of a brokerage lot. Well, I went aboard after the broker arrived, not really thinking she would match up with what I was looking for (I did have my check list in hand), as I had been looking for Bristol 35.5s. But when I saw her layout and the very smart updates the owner had done to make it a very comfortable and safe cruiser, I glanced down and noticed my check list of needs and wants had been completely marked off.

I popped my head up and signaled to the broker who was working on another boat that this was the one and I put down a deposit. The survey is this Saturday, so if all goes well (which I believe it will), I should be the very proud owner of a beautifully maintained P-39 by month's end. I will post pics once everything is finalized---don't want to jinx the process...lol!!

Jun 4, 2004
My sailing is going to be solo also. The soloing will be a new experience for me, but I am very much looking forward to getting back on the water and start cruising some.

Jun 4, 2004
Do you have access to Practical Sailor? They have a write-up on the Bristol 35.5. Overall it reads like a great boat. They have some caveats.
Yes, I had read that article and the caveats of poor engine access and initial tenderness were certainly on my radar. The Pearson has very good engine access and from what little I have been able to find, also has an excellent reputation as a coastal and near off shore sailing vessel.

I have also decided to keep my Bristol 28 for day and weekend sailing ventures. At least until I am ready to begin cruising full time.

Last edited: