• Sailing is all about the Weather.

Big into the exploration of Atlantic Hurricanes since Katrina came uninvited into his world, James (Jim) Gurley (JamesG161) has followed every Tropical Storm birthed in Atlantic, Gulf and Caribbean waters since. Being a boater, he knows that we often need more time to prepare than we get from the TV weather folk. Jim relies on the science of storm development to share early warning info with friends and fellow boaters.

Early in 2018, Jim and John Shepard, (JSSailem) started to chat about the weather data available. John asked Jim to help forecast Pacific NW storms, and this morphed into discussions on weather forecasting.

For John, sailing in the PNW is sometimes hit and miss. One day is ugly, then a string of beautiful days but no wind, followed by a series of blue-sky days and 12 knot breezes. Being ready for those great sailing days means you need to look to the Pacific Ocean and what is brewing. John has been into Pacific NW Weather since the 1970’s when his first PNW November storm hit bringing more than 40 days and 40 nights of continual rain.

Together we want to share information, new APPs, safety, and thoughts about letting the weather help you. Identify some of the resources for sailors and help prepare you for your next sailboat outing.

It is far better to go out on the water knowing what to expect in weather terms, than to be out on the water and see dark ominous clouds suddenly appear, unprepared.

PTC 9 --> Tropical Storm Harold

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This what we know.

storm_09.gif

This is what is expected.

175815_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

And this for Storm Surge which is tricky, depending on where your boat is.

144156_peak_surge.jpg

Jim...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
John, Looking at Windy.com, and going forward to mid to end of next week, I see their model (ECMWF) shows a formation at the Yucatan crossing the Gulf and going into Apalachicola area late next week..
I know that the confidence is a bit shaky, but the Canadian model also shows the disturbance..
Your comments?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Very observant @kloudie1. The storm you mention appears to be an upper level LOW that starts in the Pacific just north of the Tropical wave which is sweeping the Southern Caribbean Sea. It crosses Nicaragua and Honduras late Thursday and Friday. It finds the warm waters off Belize and the Yucatan. Slides north towards the southern Gulf off the coast of Mexico on Saturday.
It bears watching. Saturday and Sunday are a bit far for the models to predict. I am not seeing it on the NOAA charts yet. It bears watching.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
John, Looking at Windy.com, and going forward to mid to end of next week, I see their model (ECMWF) shows a formation at the Yucatan crossing the Gulf and going into Apalachicola area late next week..
I know that the confidence is a bit shaky, but the Canadian model also shows the disturbance..
Your comments?
On tropicaltidbits, you can look at each individual run of models. If I’m interpreting it correctly, the long range (240hr) ECMWF is run once per day at 00z. This system has only appeared on the last run 00z/22Aug, before that it was forecast as a low in the western Gulf. Let’s see what the 00z/23Aug run looks like.

Nov 6, 2006
My buddy is heaading out on an Alaska cruise (ship) with his wife and we are trying to decide whether to rig his boat for hurricane or not.. It is a non-trivial undertaking, as many of yall know.. I have been playing the game since 1978.. so far successfully...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
we are trying to decide whether to rig his boat for hurricane or not.. It is a non-trivial undertaking,
It is to early to know what the weather will be in the Gulf on 7-10 days from now. The long range look suggests something may happen. Bitting off a little bit of your challenge during this early time frame may be warranted. Kind of like trying to eat the whole pot of gumbo. Not in one sitting, but a little bite at a time.

Nov 6, 2006
Appreciate the feedback guys. We are heading over in the morning to do a basic prep.