PSS Shaft Seal Warning

May 10, 2011
Pearson Alberg 35 Canterbury
I'm about to purchase a PSS Shaft Seal to replace my old packed gland on my Alberg 35 and I thought the installation looked pretty straightforward, making sure the vent hose is installed above the waterline for displacement boats under 12kts. I re-read the install manual this morning and noticed a one sentence warning that I hadn't seen before:

However, displacement boats with a bearing in the shaft log must plumb water to the seal.​

So, my boat has the cutlass bearing in the shaft log, does this mean I need to plumb the vent tube with water? It seems so based on the warning. If this is the case, would I tee off the raw water input for the engine?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I'm about to purchase a PSS Shaft Seal to replace my old packed gland on my Alberg 35 and I thought the installation looked pretty straightforward, making sure the vent hose is installed above the waterline for displacement boats under 12kts. I re-read the install manual this morning and noticed a one sentence warning that I hadn't seen before:

However, displacement boats with a bearing in the shaft log must plumb water to the seal.​

So, my boat has the cutlass bearing in the shaft log, does this mean I need to plumb the vent tube with water? It seems so based on the warning. If this is the case, would I tee off the raw water input for the engine?
You will be fine with it vented...

May 10, 2011
Pearson Alberg 35 Canterbury
Excellent, I was hoping you'd say that.
As always, thanks MaineSail. I've studied your PSS shaft install tutorial extensively (among some of the other how-to's that you publish). Good stuff.