PSS Shaft Seal Replacement

Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
I have a packless seal on my 1992 Hunter 30 that needs to be replaced, as it leaks all the time. My question is whether I should replace the Packless bellows or look at a Stuffing box in it's place. The boat is on a fresh water lake. Should I also replace the cutlass bearing while I am in there. Also, what head-ache will I have taking the Coupler off the shaft?
I have looked at receipts from the prior owner and I know he never had any maintenance on it. So between him and I, records I have go back 11 years.
Suspect it has never been updated. My goal is to take the boat out in late Feb or March to get this replaced.

Any/All information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Lots of people here have the PSS shaft seal. Contrary to the urban legend, nobody here has first-person experience of their boat doing the swan dive.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
The PSS bellows is supposed to be inspected yearly and replaced every five years. So your way behind and still no real problem. I bet you could adjust the collar and stop the leak even.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
If your cutlass bearing is on a strut, it could be changed out at any time. The coupling could be a real headache to get off the shaft, depending on what routine maintenance was done to it. I make it a habit to spray mine with PB Blaster or something like it whenever I am working nearby. It slid off the shaft easily when I needed it to.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I would recommend doing a full seal replacement, engine mount check, cutlass bearing, and shaft alignment.
A correctly done job, with the newest seal design should last for many many years.
Jim...

Jul 1, 2014
Hunter 34 Seattle
You didn't say what was leaking, the bellows or the seal itself. I did this project last year and also recommend doing the cutlass while you're at it. I wanted to replace the dripless seal since the records that came with the boat went back 25 years with no maintenance. I also replaced the cutlass bearing and prop. My flange was frozen solid so it was easiest for me to lift the engine (drop the mainsheet through the companionway opening) and pull out the shaft forward. My shaft was worn at the cutlass so I decided to replace but at that point you could get a decent puller on the flange or have a shop remove it.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Go to Mainsail web site and he shows how to get coupling off and do the cutlass bearing while a
part and I did the cutlass bearing and new bellows and new set screws all at same time and Mainsails web site really helped me do it all myself.
I mostly used heat and some hammering but used the same coupling and even though the cutlass bearing was ok I replaced it with Mainsails showing how.
Nick

Feb 25, 2014
Hunter Hunter 30 Lake Lanier
I have tightened the bellows over time, as an occasional link would occur. Not much room left. Thanks for the recommendations. My goal is to pull the boat in late Feb/early March when it warms up some and I can take a few days off. The next time I am at the boat, I will start to spray some PB Blaster as I will want a few weeks of the Blaster to start to penetrate.
When I start on the work, I will update this thread.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
get rid of it and for just over a hundred go to a Volvo dripless ,far less headaches general propeller.com
Catalina was installing these pss at the factory and stopped due to failures sometimes they fail bad and the boat needs to be pulled fast. volvo dripless has a cutless bearing built into it so your shaft is supported by 2 bearings

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Look at Volvo shaft seals. Simple and effective. My bilge is gathering dust. Just remember to “burp” the Volvo seal after a haulout.
I think you mean after Launch ,not haulout ,you must burp it to get the trapped air out and get water to the seal to lube it

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
If your leak is in the bellows, you need to replace it. Probably should be replaced anyway if it is old. If the leak is between the stainless steel rotor and the ceramic disc, try slipping a piece of folded over fine grit wet-dry sandpaper between them and run the engine slowly while in gear. This will clean and improve the mating of the two surfaces.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Have you tried cleaning with fine sand paper put in between the two parts of the PSS.
Go to PSS web site and look how they give info cleaning the two parts with fine sand paper,
what happens over time pitting in between.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Go to YouTube how to clean PSS shaft seal.
I have done this a few times over the last ten years with great success.
Nick