PSS shaft seal operating temperature

Sep 19, 2018
Mirage 33 St. Clair Shores
Like I said before with the propeller shaft being tested new propeller, new cutless bearing I rebuilt the transmission so yes the engine mounts may be alittle worn but idle to max rpms is extremely smooth. One thing when I called PSS they asked if I heard a noise coming from it and even when it was hot I heard nothing. I hope that it being as warm as it is isn't uncommon just curious why some would be cold or barely warm this one being at the max spec.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Theres yer problem Vern. Break it in, call us back

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Original sailboat model PSS shaft seals did not have vent hose. Instructions called for burping once at the beginning of the season. I have done this for about 15 years with the original carbon bearing/seal. However, PSS bellows design has changed and the new design is not as compressible. Compressing it to the old specification (3/4" in my case) is more difficult and results in probably greater friction at the bearing/seal. Wrote to PYS and sent old and new style bellows displaying the changes and asked that question but they did not answer. Photo shows older bellows next to newer bellows.
53946633-186B-4432-A15F-1B43CA217581.jpeg

Sep 19, 2018
Mirage 33 St. Clair Shores
I agree with that, the ¾" seemed like a lot the pressure. I remember when I first tried to compress it and tighten at the same time I found it impossible given my body's position in the area I had to work in. At the time I was installing it I talked to a friend of mine who has a 42' powerboat with a similar style seal. He was surprised how much compression they wanted for such a small seal. I remember him saying "they want you to make it tight so you have to replace it more often". I probably should have listened to him and compressed it less but of all the problems I had read about from these seals before I installed it heat from over compression wasn't one of them.