PSS replacement job

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I had an old PSS seal that I wanted to change out. I ordered a new one based on recommendations from the manufacturer. When I went to install it, I noticed the rubber bellows are different than the original. The new one has an insert that goes over the stern tube and the bellows goes over that. I’m assuming so they can manufacture one size bellows to use with different inserts based on your tube size.
the problem is the overall thickness of the rubber assembly is quite thicker than the original and really can’t fit properly between the stern tube and the hull. We fought it for awhile and ultimately got it on, albeit not perfect but satisfied it will be safe.
im surprised that nobody else has brought this up since I can’t see that gap being much different on other Cat30’s.
if I were to do this again, I would want a size of bellows to fit over the the stern tube without the insert making the overall rubber thickness less. But I could not do that with this one since without the insert it would be too loose on the tube.
Curious if anyone else had this experience.

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
Oh yeah, went through that this spring. The old bellows I took off was thinner at the stern log tube end than the new one I bought to replace it. Thinking I bought the wrong diameter bellows (1 3/4" dia., stern tube dia.1.70" measured) I contacted PSS company and told them to send me the 1 5/8" dia. so I could stretch that over the stern tube which would give me more clearance which was extremely tight. They said I had the correct bellows and they would send me the insert for a smaller dia. log. This would not help me with the tight fit because it would make the bellows thicker. With just the bellows I couldn't even get the hose clamps on and the tight clearance was under the shaft log, an impossible area to get to so I could remove some hull material to get enough clearance. I used a dremel, a mirror to see underneath, a reciprocating tool and bit, and a file to remove enough material so I could get the bellows and clamps on the shaft log. This job would have been much easier if PSS made the same bellows as my original but as you and I found out they supply inserts for different sized shaft logs instead of different sized bellows.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Yep. That’s EXACTLY what we did too. Royal pain