PSK31 Anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hey everyone. Looking to try PSK31 on the Icom M802. I was thinking of getting a Tigertronics SignaLink interface. The interface plugs into the ACC port on the M802 tranceiver and a USB port on the computer. This will then allow the computer to use a software such as Digipan, and control the radio via computer. Has anyone tried this out?

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
yes, that will work great. I was using the same set up till I found I didnt need the Signalink on my new TS-590. works great for RTTY and CW also.

Mar 12, 2008
yes, that will work great. I was using the same set up till I found I didnt need the Signalink on my new TS-590. works great for RTTY and CW also.
I figured I could use the mic and headphone plugs, but the Signalink was easier and I could use the ACC jack on the transceiver. By the time I could build an interface using the cables, I would spend about the same as the Signalink. Did you use an M802 before going to the TS-590, and did you have any issues getting a clean signal out? Last thing I want to do is splatter all over the frequency.

Also took a look at Ham Radio Deluxe. Unfortunately, the software doesn't support the Icom M802.

Thanks for the response!
73's!

Oct 6, 2009
to controll the splatter just crank it down to 10w or less. the signal still gets out. HRD is hard to figure out and takes time to learn how to use it. it has alot of cool stuff, but then i'm not a fan of muilti fuction buttoms either. good luck and have fun. look for me, mostly on weekends. 73's KD4LZL

Oct 6, 2009
That should work, also be sure your SWR is good. I hear west coast ( Cailf ) all the time, maybe we can set up a QSO some weekend??

Mar 12, 2008
Will do. I'll be setting it up after Labor Day. So give me about a month and I'll be up and running.

Mar 12, 2008
We can hope we can get more to join in. Digital seems to be an excellent way to communicate long distance with low power. I should be up and running a couple of weeks after Labor Day and we can give it a shot. I'll IM you when I'm up and running, and we can give it a shot.

Perhaps we can entice others to join in...

Jun 4, 2011
Oday 192 Bald Eagle State Park, PA
I'd have to get my 20m antenna back up but that's not a big deal. I work on it over the holiday weekend. PSK31 is by far the easiest way to communicate IMO. My $250 netbook, $300 used TS-140, free software, a homemade dipole and cables and worldwide comm is available.

Let me know when you want to set up the 'net.

NI3S

Mar 12, 2008
PSK31 does seem to be an interesting way to go, and not that expensive to try. The software is free, I already have a laptop and radio. All that is needed is a soundcard interface which can be made easily enough. I figured I'd just buy it as it would cost about the same to make for my radio, and I can also use the interface to access Winlink email via Winmor. Can't hurt to have a backup for my SCS Pactor modem.

Mar 12, 2008
I have the interface as it just arrived yesterday. I think I have everything ready to go. I'm tied up this weekend with visitors from the UK, so it looks like my first chance will be next Saturday, Sept 17-18. anyone around and want to give it a try?

Mar 12, 2008
The call sign is KI6CZP. I'll try to get the equipment installed this Friday. Looks like yard work on Saturday morning and the boat on late Saturday afternoon and Sunday. You can always IM me through this website as I have the iPhone app.

Mar 12, 2008
Just an update...

I installed the computer interface on the ICOM M802. The installation was simple; you unplug the Pactor modem and plug in the interface. Unfortunately the modem and the interface use the same ACC jack. I then tuned up the radio on 14070 and started Digipan. A click on the waterfall and I was receiving signals.

The only issue that came up was the Receive sensitivity. I'm using a Tigertronics interface and it has a built-in soundcard with its own RX and TX sound knobs. The advantage of this unit is because of the built-in soundcard, I can keep the computer on the computer soundcard and the Digipan uses the Tigertronics soundcard. So no computer beeps and alerts go through. But I'm finding I have to barely turn the RX just off minimum. Any more then that and the waterfall is all yellow. So I'm now wondering if the TX is that sensitive. Could just be the noisy area I'm in as my slip is in Los Angeles Harbor. Guess we'll find out tomorrow when I try to make my first contact. Hope my signal is clean.

Just a side note. When I plugged the modem back in, to my surprise, I was receiving PSK31 signals on my computer through the modem. I tried a couple of things, but the Digipan software would not key up the radio using the modem. So if you have a modem attached to your M802, it appears that you can listen but not transmit PSK31 signals.

Mar 12, 2008
Well, I just got back from a weekend on the boat. After a little more tweeking, I got the equipment to run. Was able to get great signal reports from a couple of stations in Utah. Not bad for 20 watts.

I solved the issue of the receive audio sensitivity. I found that plugging in a set of earphones (I used the ear buds from my iPod) into the speaker jack in the back of the Signalink solved all the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.