Proud new owner Hunter 356

Mar 4, 2018
Hunter 33.5 Southport
You mentioned in an earlier post that you mainly sail by yourself. Just curious as to how you sheet in the headsail with no winches at hand at the helm. I always thought it was strange that Hunter would spend so much thought into the traveler arch and not even address the issue of the headsail for single handers. They did address this later on but I'm just curious as to the ways people work around the issue of no winches close to the helm.

Oct 7, 2016
Hunter 356 Little Creek, Norfolk VA
I haven't done any sailing on the 356 yet other than on the sea trial.

On my cat 27, i used the auto tiller or just worked quickly.... sonetimes i even used my knees to steady the tiller. Where there is a will...

On the 356 i could see having a couple of wraps around the windward side winch and pull the ends of both sheets back to the wheel ready for use.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2016
If you have enough way, you can also let fly the leeward sheet just prior to tacking. Then with the windward side prepped, take up the slack as the bow comes around. Just my thoughts as a sailor with limited experience and knowledge.

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
You mentioned in an earlier post that you mainly sail by yourself. Just curious as to how you sheet in the headsail with no winches at hand at the helm. I always thought it was strange that Hunter would spend so much thought into the traveler arch and not even address the issue of the headsail for single handers. They did address this later on but I'm just curious as to the ways people work around the issue of no winches close to the helm.
I have that very issue on the H260. I prepare both job sheets forctacking and bring them back to the helm. Then I jerk upwards on the leeward sheet to release it.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I single hand frequently. If you have autopilot it might have the tack function on it. To tack simply hit both port buttons or stbd buttons at the same time depending on which way you want to turn. As the boat turns handle the jib sheets.

Oct 7, 2016
I single hand frequently. If you have autopilot it might have the tack function on it. To tack simply hit both port buttons or stbd buttons at the same time depending on which way you want to turn. As the boat turns handle the jib sheets.
The 356 i just bought needs a new auto pilot. Thinking ray marine evo 100 to replace the failed st4000

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have the EV100 Love it. It is compatible with your boat size and displacement.
Note that in my opinion the wheel units have a weakness when it comes to strong downwind and following sea conditions. You need to balance the boat sailing trim to minimize the strain that strong wind conditions can place on the small motor and wheel belt.
I’ve used my AP in all sorts of weather for about a year. Love it. But anticipate it will be needing a replacement or at the least repairs in 4-6 years.

Oct 7, 2016
Thx i wasnt sure if the evo100 was rated for a boat the size of the h356.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sure. It is a great consideration. The specifications for the wheel drive are below.
Wheel Drive
The EV-100 wheel pilot comprises a fully enclosed wheel-drive for simple installation and superb autopilot performance.
  • Quick and easy installation
  • Fits most types of wheel
  • Simple robust clutch engagement mechanism.
Specifications
Maximum recommended laden boat displacement: 7,500kg (16,500lbs)
Revs per minute (rpm): 9
Thrust: 30Nm
Connections: STng (x1), NMEA 2000 with adapter cable​
So your boat is right in the mix and 13500lbs.
Even so you need to be able to trim the sails. The boat needs to be sailing almost it’s own. That way the AP does not have to work very hard, just minor adjustments to maintain direction.

Overpower the rig, or a lot of weather helm and you’ll hear the motor constantly trying to adjust the boat.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
I use the autopilot (st4000plus ) tack function when singlehanding as Mikem suggested;I'm sure the evo has the same capability. I also have extra long jibsheets that can be led back to my spinnaker winches which on the 356 are aft nearer the wheel if I expect to do a lot of trimming.
I usually set the mainsheet and use the traveler to fine tune when going upwind, the traveller lines are very convenient for the helmsman

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
After we bought our present boat I hired an instructor for several hours to go over handling the boat single handed; really needed this as new to sail drive and twin rudders. One of his first comments about leaving and returning to a slip was, "if you are not bored, you are doing something wrong." I laughed out loud at that. Then I thought about it. Maybe he is right about that.....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The boat has in-mast furling, I will appreciate any comments or recommendations concerning the in mast furling.
Congratulations on your new boat!:clap:
____
I love my in-mast furling and we believe it is a Safety feature on our boat.

Why Safety?
We can handle furling and unfurling of all our sails from the safety of our cockpit.

Here is good link on in-mast users.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/in-mast-piece-of-crap-furling-system.175976/

It is just a mechanism, like your stereo.;)

Enjoy the learning profile of your new boat.
Jim...

Oct 7, 2016
Congratulations on your new boat!:clap:
____
I love my in-mast furling and we believe it is a Safety feature on our boat.

Why Safety?
We can handle furling and unfurling of all our sails from the safety of our cockpit.

Here is good link on in-mast users.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/in-mast-piece-of-crap-furling-system.175976/

It is just a mechanism, like your stereo.;)

Enjoy the learning profile of your new boat.
Jim...
I was at my boat today for only 3rd time. The motor has been winterized so i was just getting familiar with it.

I did unfurl and furl the mainsail a couple of times. And I had seen the previous owner unfurl and furl the main during the sea trial too. It operated smoothly every time. I am looking forward to getting it out on the bay.